bottom bracket

SimonLyons
SimonLyons Posts: 203
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Can someone point me to a good set of instructions for servicing/replacing bottom brackets + the minimum tools you need.

Shimano Hollowtech II

Thanks

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Shimano website has all you need: http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not serviceable but replaceable.

see Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you can technically replace the bearings, but it isn't really worth it!
  • SimonLyons
    I got a 2nd opinion with someone at work and there is definitely a lot of play in the pedals.
    Got the tools and instructions ready to take it to bits tonight.

It looks a bit more delicate/involved than the last bottom bracket I replaced which was a swap from cones+ball bearings to an all in one unit on an old Marin.
  • SimonLyons
    Job done - not too bad really.
    --got a good video off the web by googling.

The bottom brackets cups were a bit difficult to get off - needed a piece of copper tubing to get extra leverage on the allen key.
    Cleaned everything up(baby wipes + glass cleaner) - add loads of grease and reassemble with the new bottom bracket.

Bikes in today most creaks have disappeared and the grainy feel when I pedal has gone, but still some noises to get rid of - next is the seat post.

22quid bb(Shimano 105), 9quid for the tool(Icetoolz) which I thought was a reasonable tool. Already had the allen keys.