La Marmotte - photography

I have entered the La Marmotte in July and I am interested to find out where would the best places be to take photographs - my parents are coming along and would like to take pictures of the race and hopefully me. Any ideas of where they can head off too after the start, they would naturally like to be at the finish (so would I) - they have a car? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    there's a dam at the start of the first climb (Glandon) which could be a candidate. It depends on what kind of photos they want - close-ups or panoramics. Further up the Glandon there is a fantastic lake that would make a good photo background.

The Galibier is the most pictureque though. Right up in the mountains.

The Alp isn't up to much IMO. You'll look goosed by then and the road itself isn't anything special.

So in short, Galndon or Galibier are the best of the four IMO.

Good luck! I'm doing it too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I would agree - the Galibier is very photogenic as long as visibility remains good!

It is difficult to catch the views on the Alpe and you will, as stated be pretty cooked by then - perhaps good for an essay in suffering.

Also because the roads are not closed people can drive around the course, although clearly this is not to be encouraged too much.

Last year lots of people were getting off on the Galibier, presumably by pre-arrangement, and climbing into cars which then drove slowly up the rest of the mountain. Whether they were quitting or getting back out again I have no idea!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I was on last years and also saw loads of people getting into vehicles - I had assumed to abandon.......

As per previous posters, Glandon and Galibier - I purchased photos of myself on both - I don't look too good (especially on the latter) but the scenery/backdrop are superb!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I also rode last year. Didn't see anyone getting into a car with their bike, but then I had a mad fixed stare most of the ride.

For photos I'd recommend the Galibier, but not at the top there will be just too many people about. I'd go for either somewhere either half way up, or near the first main junction on the way down. Your family will be able to park and maybe set up a feed station for you? There are some photos of the area in the link below. My avatar is of me descending the Galibier last year.

I really enjoyed the day and wish I was doing it again this year.
  • mattndbaker
    mattndbaker Posts: 35
    Absolutely fantastic, thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated. I will be going there on the Wednesday before the race and will hopefully have time to drive around the course, get the bike out at various points and look at the spots you have suggested. Great idea about the feed station. Thank you again - getting very excited!!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The Glandon leads on to the Croix de Fer so they could get you coming up that road. The top of the Telegraphe near the Valloire sign or the cafe or summit of the Galibier or the foot of the Galibier where you turn right.
    M.Rushton
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you should be out training matt :wink:

It's a big day in many ways. Superb scenery and a cracking route. Hard though.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mattndbaker
    mattndbaker Posts: 35
    Thank you again for your fine suggestions. Maddog, trying to get out as much as I can, really looking forwrd to it all - its going to be quite an experience.