Tour of California final stage *spoiler*

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited May 2010 in Pro race
I've no idea what stage number this is now and have lost the will to detail what's going on in the race.

The descent of Mulholland Drive looks pretty mental though.

I'm pretty sure I read a story that Matt Di Canio once went out and rode down this in the wee small hours with no lights. :shock:
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• DaveyL
    Brett Lancaster on a new Cervelo frame - 675 g...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Why are the details for the graphics in French?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Why are the Giro graphics in English?
  • takethehighroad
    Maybe it's some sort of role reversal

Somethings happening on a climb iwth Barredo and Hincapie
  • shannyla
    shannyla Posts: 28

ASO are doing the TV presentation, apparently they've got all their top TdF people there. The coverage has been seriously good for a dull race.
  • afx237vi
    Was that the Pope I just saw?
  • DaveyL
    Good stuff from the top 3 on the last climb. Z attacking but Rogers holding on so far.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    Magnus explaining there how Levi had the perfect opportunity to attack...

Riiiiiiiight.

Carlton mistakes Zabriskie for Ryder Hesjedal.

Riiiiiight.
  • afx237vi
    Are there time bonuses on the line?
  • DaveyL
    I think so.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • takethehighroad
    George Hincapie showing us once again how to lose a bike race.

Now watch him win
  • afx237vi
    The gap is going out anyway, so it doesn't matter.
  • takethehighroad
    afx237vi wrote:
    Are there time bonuses on the line?

10 6 and 4
  • takethehighroad
    But yeah it doesn't matter now
  • DaveyL
    I think Horner could take it, doesn't he have a decent sprint?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • takethehighroad
    It's screaming for someone to have flyer and no one will chase cos they can;t be ars*d
  • DaveyL
    Hesjedal takes the stage and Rogers finishes with Levi and Z.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • takethehighroad
    Hesjedal wins, beating George into second in the sprint.

I want to live in one of those houses on that lake
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    Well what do we reckon overall to the ToC?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DaveyL
    Hesjedal wins, beating George into second in the sprint.

I want to live in one of those houses on that lake

No you don't, it sounds like Carlton would be round on the scrounge!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Given the quality in the field, it wasn't great.

Granted that quality doesn't want to have much form at this time of year, but still...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,230
    I think it's got potential - it has near perfect racing country (scenery, hills, decent roads), attracts a good field from US sponsored teams and benefits from experienced organisation. However, it was let down by its time trial and really needs a date that doesn't clash with a bigger race. I would also like to see an end to finishing circuits which I always feel have no place in a top race (Worlds excepted).
  • DaveyL

I thought it was fair enough - Rogers did well in the TT and managed to mark his rivals in the other stages. Zabriskie and Leipheimer certainly tried to attack several times on the last climb yesterday but couldn't get away.

Some good moments of racing, but probably not as good overall as last year's edition. It could really benefit from a summit finish or two.

I thought the TT was OK but didn't see the need for it to be so long - surely one lap of the course would have been enough? Maybe His Nibs wanted a longer test...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    I think it's got potential - it has near perfect racing country (scenery, hills, decent roads), attracts a good field from US sponsored teams and benefits from experienced organisation. However, it was let down by its time trial and really needs a date that doesn't clash with a bigger race. I would also like to see an end to finishing circuits which I always feel have no place in a top race (Worlds excepted).

If it was a finishing circuit in San Fransisco you might change your mind... :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,230
    True - a crit around SF taking in an ascent of the famous road would be good :shock:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    I thought the TT was badly organized.. shambolic

the course was ok-ish but produced similar results each day but in its favour there was a feel that we were watching a different style of racing in California compared to say... flanders..

the US crit circuit thing was in there and rightly so.. I think the US/cali having its own style is ok but some wont like it.. I think its good there is different racing.. I dont want them to try and emulate a european tour but make a Cali/US one with its own style work

have no problem with the circuits except in the TT which was rubbish IMO

the bear lake stage was hard but came down to time bonus sprint.. didn't work

the clash with the giro wasn't a problem for me... in hindsight probably a good thing heh.. and the time difference means it doesn't really clash except when ToC gets more coverage than the Zoncalan repeat coverage on ES :roll:

thought the feb race last year was tougher for the weather despite the lack of big hills
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Just 35 riders finish the event.
    Was Big Bear really just too long and tough?
    I don't think so.
    Too hard for the US squads and in reality, of little interest to most of the non US-centric Euro pros.

Given that stages 5 and 8 produced the best racing, an early season start seems to best option. Last February's edition was a better race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    Just 35 riders finish the event.
    Was Big Bear really just too long and tough?
    I don't think so.
    Too hard for the US squads and in reality, of little interest to most of the non US-centric Euro pros.

Given that stages 5 and 8 produced the best racing, an early season start seems to best option. Last February's edition was a better race.

A lot of riders must have climbed off after going out the back ont he first circuit yesterday then. Seems like a common thing to do if the final stage is a circuit. I think Danielson was one of them.

Lots of eliminations on the Big Bear stage though.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Pross wrote:
    True - a crit around SF taking in an ascent of the famous road would be good :shock:

Yep, Lombard Street, that would kick ass as they like to say

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.8 ... 08,,0,6.94
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    As I suggested when Rick asked, use the old GP San Fran route.

Remember the original prologue course for AToC. Harsh.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.