insider knowledge on dalby

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited June 2010 in Routes
its half-term next week and me and my wife are off to robin hoods bay for a spot of camping / walking / riding

we plan to spend a day at dalby with the bikes but havent been before

anyone who knows the place got any tips for whats best to ride there ?

zoe is a mainly recreational / fitness XC or mild trail centre (thetford / sherwood red routes) rider and im more of an AM / playbiker (confident on scottish style red routes)

(we both ride 100mm forked hardtails)

thanks

slainte :?: rob

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited May 2010
    £7 to park.
    Dull and samey.

Dull

Did i mention it was dull?
    In comparison to the Scottish trails Dulby Red would be a Blue.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    ibbo is in a small minority of riders who think Dalby is dull.

Most riders enjoy the trails, myself included.

The red is more technical in places than Sherwood & Thetford but everything is rollable or has a chicken run

The Black has optional extras that are no way a equivalent to a red Scottish trail, a 4ft drop off to a rock garden is not a red trail in anyone's book.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Andy B wrote:
    ibbo is in a small minority of riders who think Dalby is dull.
    Most riders enjoy the trails, myself included.
    I've only met/ridden with one rider who said Dalby is OK,so by my experiences it's the people who like Dalby that are the minority.
    It's a question of taste/preference i suppose.Personally i'd rather drive twice the distance to N.Wales than ride Dalby.I understand some new stuff has been built since we were last there so iI'll retract my comparison of the Black to a Scottish red.The red trail is samey and not a red IMO and is only marginally better than Sherwood Pines,which is mind-numbingly boring.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    thanks for the input folks - as it happens i only managed about 10 miles of the dalby red before the results of forgetting my gloves on a hot day made me chicken run back to the car

IMAG0372a.jpg

personally i found the dalby red (especially the section where the red and black run together) a fair bit tougher than sherwood - mainly due to the gradients that im not used to living here in the east of england (having done the red up at laggan i actually found dalby tougher since at wolftrax it might be more technical but its one long up then a lot of down and dalby was more climb-drop-climb-drop-climb-etc)

i also discovered my rockhard but ultra-stiff ali HT isnt necessarily the best for riding singletrack that has a lumpy rocky base to it (or at least thats what my lower back is telling me)

i did however get chance to muck about at dixons hollow which we have nothing like down here (in terms of a 'mixed ability' skills area / bikepark) and rode my first 'proper' 4X track which was great fun (and that the mr hyde felt way more at home on than out on the open trails) and is something i deffo want to get into more - next stop chicksands i reckon

slainte :) rob