Laps in (or near) the City of London

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
So, we have Richmond park and Regents Park, both commonly used for doing laps (as long as you don't mind staying under 20mph/breaking the law)

But anybody got an idea where one can go for a lunchtime spin near the city without getting interrupted by lights/junctions?

The a largest open space actually in the City is Finsbury Circus, but a leeedle bit dangerous to do any serious cycling around, and besides, you'd get dizzy.

I was thinking Vicky park, but don't know if that's got a sort of perimeter, anybody know anywhere down Isle of Dogs way?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Victoria Park laps are 2.5 miles it's nice for a bimble really, the surface aint great and there's 2 points where you have to cross a main road

nice to get out of a lunchtime ride, but not if you want to really hammer it imo. Give it a go though it's nice and green.

I've gone through the same process as you and couldn't really find anything else
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Up and down the Nat West tower.

Good altitude training, lol!
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    The Greenway starts near the south-east corner of Victoria Park. St Mark's gate (??). The surface is ok, wide enough and when I was on it on Friday, there was virtually no one else around. Obviously it'll be out and back rather than a loop but it might do the trick.
  • Clever Pun
    The Greenway starts near the south-east corner of Victoria Park. St Mark's gate (??). The surface is ok, wide enough and when I was on it on Friday, there was virtually no one else around. Obviously it'll be out and back rather than a loop but it might do the trick.

is that the canal path or is this something new for the olympics?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Clever Pun wrote:

is that the canal path or is this something new for the olympics?

I think that it's part of the Olympics ''legacy'' stuff - it runs close by the Olympic stadium on top of the northern outfalll sewer down to Beckton. (Though there are some badly signposted diversions just gone up east of Stratford.) But I thought the surface was smoother than in Victoria Park, and it doesn't seem to be used very much.

EDIT: this tfl link might help: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... .asp?id=60
  • JFJH
    JFJH Posts: 5
    If you are looking for something near the isle of dogs you could take the foot tunell down to greenwich, go up the hill and do a lap or two of blackheath. Gets very windy because its quite open but its ok for a few laps and then on the way back you can stop in greenwich park and admire the views of canary wharf and the city.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Dulwich Park allows cycling and is good for a whole MILE per lap! Add in the extra fun of hazards to avoid in the shape of children and others who shouldn't be allowed out un-assisted on all manner of "odd" bikes (recumbents, child carrying, trikes, banana bikes etc. from the hire shop on-site) and you have a rather interesting ride :-)

I gave up after 5 laps last time I was there on the roadie. On the plus side the surface was nice and smooth but it then made me think I had a puncture once I got back out on the road proper outside which is less then perfect ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I've just come back from Dulwich park. It's great for a few pootly laps during normal working hours, but it's rammed any other time. You do get a fair few bikes and "power" walkers, but that's to be expected when it's 99% car free.

You get some lovely views as well, particularly the lady on the Langster who was lapping while I was relaxing under a tree, and the yummy mummy in Castelli with a blue Condor with a bright yellow baby trailer behind it!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    @lardboy - I had great fun at Dulwich Park when hiring some of the bikes! I have yet to try an adult banana bike or the recumbants but I can vouch for the handling on the Nihola child kiddy carrier bikes :-D I was certainly giving it some on the straights and it is hugely satisfying being able to do mario kart style slides, although I think handling may have been even more fun if both front tyres had been pumped up proprely :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Dulwich Park allows cycling and is good for a whole MILE per lap! Add in the extra fun of hazards to avoid in the shape of children and others who shouldn't be allowed out un-assisted on all manner of "odd" bikes (recumbents, child carrying, trikes, banana bikes etc. from the hire shop on-site) and you have a rather interesting ride :-)

I gave up after 5 laps last time I was there on the roadie. On the plus side the surface was nice and smooth but it then made me think I had a puncture once I got back out on the road proper outside which is less then perfect ;-)
    Whenever I've been to Dulwich Park its always been too crowded to do the tarmacced bits. There's actually a half decent little XC track round the edge which is mostly empty apart from the occasional dog walker - although only really doable if you're on a MTB.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    There is this loop around the Royal Docks - you can hammer it on the DC sections, usually not too much traffic. Not the worlds most inspiring scenery though.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    @lardboy - I had great fun at Dulwich Park when hiring some of the bikes! I have yet to try an adult banana bike or the recumbants but I can vouch for the handling on the Nihola child kiddy carrier bikes :-D I was certainly giving it some on the straights and it is hugely satisfying being able to do mario kart style slides, although I think handling may have been even more fun if both front tyres had been pumped up proprely :-)

I popped over to the hire bit to see what they had. I think I'll pop along with the lady at some point for a go on the double recumbents. They look like a laugh.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Clever Pun
    I tried the Greenway today for lunch... it's cackwizard if you actually want to cycle

Victoria park laps are much much better
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5