Hills near Barcelona

andy_nD
andy_nD Posts: 40
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm heading off to Barcelona next week and was hoping to take in some hills in preparation for the Etape. Climbbybike and mapmyride both seem to have suggestions for decent climbs within relatively easy reach..

Currently on my list I have Mount Tibidabo as being relatively short but rideable from the hotel, Rassos de Peguera climbing from Berga, and the climb to Montseny from Sant Celoni. I'm ideally looking for 15-20km climbs no more than an hour from town (we'll be staying near the Forum) - has anyone ridden these and/or have I missed any others worth taking a look at?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    You can cycle up to the fort at Montjuic from Plaza Espana, passing the 1992 Olympic village with great views across the city and harbour.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't bother cycling in town (e.g. Tibidabo, Montjuic), traffic is a nightmare!

Montseny from Sant Celoni and back via Seva + Viladrau is lovely, highly recommended. The north side is prettier than the south. The restaurant at the top is great, fantastic rustic catalan food! (Assuming it hasn't changed, I was last there a couple of years ago.)

And, although I haven't ridden it (I've been there on foot), the road on the north side of Montserrat starting from Monistrol de Montserrat would also be a suggestion. Very spectacular scenery!
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Sorry, I'll correct that. Do Tibidabo, it's spectacular, but do get up early to do it - Barcelona early in the morning is lovely and calm, and really beautiful in the morning light. Then you can freewheel back into town and pick up a cheeky bocadillo de jamon for your brekkie!

Also Girona is a very quick train ride and from there you can hit the Garrotxa (e.g. towards Olot). Not ridden there, so no specific routes but the whole area is lovely and I'm sure you can work something out!
  • rvokes
    rvokes Posts: 36
    I live just outside bcn, there are a number of good hills, and id agree to try NOT to ride downtown, its too much of a hassle. the road to sitges is very good for doing some tempo riding, but its also full of traffic. the ride up from monistrol to monserrat is a fantastic cat1 climb, more so if you carry onto the el bruc-manresa road.
    the hospitalet race from feb makes an interesting ride (http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=105044)

pm me for some routes
  • 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    Do Tibidabo !!! I walked up it a few years ago and know that its lovely single track all the way up , with plenty of paths going off all over which would be good for bombing about on, steep climb on parts once you do decide to go up to the top but lovely refreshing fresh mountain water halfway up to cool down with, then bottled water vending machines once you get up the top, or refreshments from numorous places. To get there you have to go on the road for a short while but not too busy depending on time of day and month you go in.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I've spent a lot of time in Barcelona, with bike, and while I quite liked riding through downtown, it's probably not for everyone. Montjuich is fine for a quick lunchtime burst, but if you're after some better riding, Tibidabao and the hills behind it around Sant Cugat are great for a couple of hours. Tibidabao is a proper little climb, from sea level to about 500 meter, so more than anything you get in the UK, just outside the city. The road from Sarria/Via Augusta through Valldvidrera is quite a nice climb - the big carretera Sant Cugat probably better kept for a descent.

The National Park of Montseny is within riding distance, north of Barcelona, south of Vic, on a longer day, or you can take a train to get closer and out of the city. Great mountain scenery and lots of cyclists out there on a weekend. Hills up to about 1700 m there.

Getting up a little bit earlier, taking a train, and go to the Pyrenees, say Ripoll, is seriously worth considering. It's only about two hours by train, and you get to ride in the Pyrenees, proper mountains