New ride and old one

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
new addition to my garage

finally got hold of my Scandal Pro XT after what seemed like an age. Swapped a few things out to my preference and took it out this morning.

First impressions:

I'd forgotten how punishing hard tails were around the peak district! It's been a good 15 years since I've properly ridden one. Boy this thing's stiff - found it quite hard on loose rocky climbs as I'm used to the rear end tracking the contours rather than bouncing, might try slightly less pressures next time once I've converted to tubeless. Really stable and fast though and completely different to my trek which is what I was after. Only thing I think is poor is the clearance between the wheel and front mech - it'll be a mud magnet in the winter. Other thing I noticed was how stif the monkeylite CNT low risers are for a carbon bar - no give at all!

This ride confirmed that it's far too harsh for me to run the carbon forks so they're staying in the box and are for sale in the classifieds still!

scandal.jpg
2ofthem.jpg

Comments

• BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    interesting .... as I have recently been wondering about the pros and cons of getting a hardtail ... but apart from anything, wondering when I would ride an HT, so as to whether it's worth it I'm not sure.

I have my Rocky Mountain Altitude upgraded as much as I can, so love that .....

What's your thinking in doubling up and having a hardtail too ..... when do you plan to use it instead ?
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Looks like it was worth the wait. Sweeeeett 8)
  • M6TTF
    My reasoning for a hardtail was several reasons -

1. Work were operating cyclescheme so thought I'd get something

2. the wheelset on my Trek are on their last legs and the shock and fork could do with a service, easier to do this over time and not have to miss riding :)

3. If i was going to get a HT I wanted something that offered a new experience hence the 29er.

It was a shock to the system make no mistake and it makes you realise how good a modern well set up FS bike is at tech climbs and rocky descents - something we have plenty of round here but I'm enjoying it one ride in :)

already got battlescars on the downtube and crank arms though! damn rock flcks :(
  • M6TTF
    Frame: On One Scandal 29er
    Fork: Rockshox Tora SL 29mm
    Bars: Easton Monkeylite CNT lowrise 685mm
    Stem: FSA OS 150
    Headset: On-One Smoothie Light Headset
    Grips: Specialized Rocca Lock on

Front & Rear Brake: Avid Elixir R (160/160)

Shifters: XT M770
    Front Mech: Deore XT771
    Rear Mech: XT 772

Saddle: On One big nose
    Seat Post: Ritchey One One
    Seat Post Clamp: One One

Chainset & BB: Deore XT M770
    Chain: XT 9spd
    Cassette: SRAM 950
    Pedals: Candy C

Wheels: FSA XC-290 Niner
    Tubes: Tubeless
    Tyres: Conti Race Kings 2.2

carbon fork it came with boxed up for sale :)