I hope no one was uncovered outside today

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
It was a tad warm....

IMAG0022.jpg

This is a genuine outside temp reading on Sunday, and I was out doing the bleeding garden in it. Stuff the cyclist tan, I think I'm burnt to a crisp :shock:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Yep, it was firkin hot. I was watching some footy today and despite being under the canopy thing, it was made of some translucent plastic that let some light through and I am now feeling decidedly hot (despite now being somewhere cool and air conditioned...)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yup hence going for a hack around Swinley Forest. at least your mostly under cover! even found some deep mud down one track.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    got in about 20mins ago having left at 515 this morning....

I'm a bit crispy...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Is the temp on that 51.4C or 24.6C :shock:

Spent most of the day in a car with no aircon picking up some new wheels.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    that temp of 50 degrees will have been with the thermometer in direct sunlight. Some feat seeing as record temp EVER in the UK is 38.5 degrees. Official temperatures are always taken in the shade, thermometer in direct sunlight gives crazy readings.
    <a>road</a>
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    No cyclists tan for me - 5.30am starts on weekends and home by 9, 10 latest. Marvellous!
    Still breathing.....
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Sod being out in the garden, this weekend I have been out on the Parade Ground at HMS Raleigh in the searing heat. I frankly look like a lobster now. As for shade....you gotta be joking :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    that temp of 50 degrees will have been with the thermometer in direct sunlight. Some feat seeing as record temp EVER in the UK is 38.5 degrees. Official temperatures are always taken in the shade, thermometer in direct sunlight gives crazy readings.

Yeesh - I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties :wink:

I know it's not 'accurate' - it IS in direct sunlight and yes it is 51.4 Centrigrade, the other temp is the internal one.

Oddly, when the sun has gone off from overhead, and the probe was in the shade it was still showing 31 odd degrees...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

Yeesh - I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties :wink:

I know it's not 'accurate' - it IS in direct sunlight and yes it is 51.4 Centrigrade, the other temp is the internal one.

Oddly, when the sun has gone off from overhead, and the probe was in the shade it was still showing 31 odd degrees...

Looking at the Met office data for Nottingham (the closest site to Derby), it looks as if it reached 26.6 there, so with some more buildings around, an air temperature of 31°C seems plausible.

And I will resist making the obvious joke about living up to your surname.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    We did the sensible thing and cycled to the Red Lion in Cricklade 8)
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've got cyclist's lobster too - decided it'd be a good idea to ride to Lewes and back to get in my first 100+ miler. That was hot. The route I did had a fair bit of shade, but there's some scrub land near Ashdown Forest that's pretty exposed and I think that's where I burned.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm also a delicate shade of lobster; hope it calms down in 6 days