holiday holiday holiday

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited May 2010 in MTB general
im going on holiday in august, will be going to la chamonix in france. 7 hour drive from calais, roughly

i know the cops aren't that strict with covering of number plates and lights in the uk, as the rack i have, sarris bones 3, covers the lights and the number plate with the bikes on.

so i was wondering, what do you all do? putting them in the car isn't an option, as i will be taking kitesurfing kit, which takes up all the room.

i was thinking of a light board. but how easy are they to wire up? or any other suggestions?

oh and any other things i should watch out for while traveling on the continent? i've heard i need a breakdown package, ie reflective triangle and reflective jacket :shock: do i really need these?

Tom

Comments

• Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    You're lucky oyur not going in a bus... Last year we went to Morzine, not far from Chamonix, with the school. On the way back to Calais inside the bus it must have been >30 degrees even witht he aircon on. Not Pleasant.
    In the centre of hamonix there is a tiny sandwich shop that is run by some scottish girls that is really nice.
    You won't be allowed into the Chanel shop with something that is not stylish on. (Some of the girls were rejected so me and some mates tried to get in with shorts, rugby/football tops on to pisss the shop owners off!) :lol:
    L'Auguille de Midi is well worth a visit as is le Mer de Glace.
    On top gear clarkson had his reflective vest and said the french were quite strict on you requiring one.
    One last thing... Watch out when crossing roads as teh french generally dont stop if its not a red light and be prepared for some monumental queue skipping! :lol:
    Enjoy, its gonna be hot!
  • morleyman200
    thanks mate, i can't wait.

Well ill get mum to buy herself a reflective vest, im not wearing one :P

hah will check the sarny bar while im there, so what do you call, 'stylish' how about biking cloths? :wink:

found a deal, where i get two bike racks + roof bars for £200
    rack is atera GIRO, anyone know it well?

Tom
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    you will also need a spare bulb kit to drive thru france ( unlikely to get asked for it but cheaper than a roadside fine )
    hi viz vest a must tho ( you dont need to wear it while driving , just for breakdowns )
    speaking of breakdowns , dont forget to get continental roadside cover , i recommend RAC Europe , all english speaking control room advisors.
    hope this helps :wink:
    and driving in france is top , nothing like the dire, depressing british experience. :D
  • Aldo001
    Some of the roads around that area have stunning scenery.
    Just remembered roughly where the sarny place is.
    If you can see the Element shop here http://www.testdriveunlimited2.com/vali ... 3RUTCVUKWQ
    Imagine you are on the road standing looking at that exact view. with element on ur right.
    Go along the road directly behind u for a while till there is a fountain. On the corner a small snadwhich place. Thats it :p
  • morleyman200
    thanks guys,

so hi viz vest
    brake down cover - check
    bulb kit :shock: (my car you can't change the bulbs yourself, it has to be done by a garage)
    brake down hazard triangle thingy

the specs for the scenery 8)

thanks alot, will let you know how it went, and will give the up to date verdict on these sandwiches ;)

Tom
  • Aldo001
    No worries :)
    One last thing before I leave you in peace...
    In that same little area around the fountain there is a restaurant. When I was there there was an ice-crea stand outsiide it which was phenomenal :D
    Enjoy