lubricating for dusty conditions

bigcol9
bigcol9 Posts: 17
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
All the paths and trails I use are dry and dusty at the moment.
I use a dry chain lube anyway but I'm wondering what other lube options I have. Particularly for the drive train.
Cheers!

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    No need to change. Re lube it when you clean it
  • -liam-
  • -liam-
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Advice so good it bears repeating.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Either keep reapplying it or get some Squirt lube

Lasts a bit longer than other dry lubes and also works well in wet/muddy conditions but doesn't attract dirt and mud
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I use a wax based chain lube in the summer (White Lightning), makes the chain feel really smooth after a few applications & doesn't attract dirt.
  • bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    I too use white lightning epic ride wax based and very good stuff, it handles sandy tracks round my way no problems. And it seems to make the chain easier to clean.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Squirt comes into it's own in these conditions, it's really good. It's useless in a downpour and heavy conditions mind but then you'd use something that's designed to stick to a chain anyway then.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Squirt comes into it's own in these conditions, it's really good. It's useless in a downpour and heavy conditions mind but then you'd use something that's designed to stick to a chain anyway then.

It's funny, I found the opposite :) It seemed to vanish off my chain quick in the dry dust, although we've had a bit of rain now so it's probably not such an issue. It's still better than grinding oil based lubes + sand on a chain though.
  • blister pus
    It does in lots of dry dust, I find I have to apply more of it, like today, have had to reapply this evening from this mornings dust bowl ride. But nowhere near what i have to apply in the wet, it doesn't stay on the chain in a downpour and I don't care what anyone says, or how it's now being marketed on forums, about it being a suitable all weather lube, it's just not. But like you say, much, much preferred over the grinding oil paste any day. I'm in peak district millstone grit country, the thought of that in oil paste gives me the ab-dabs. :lol:
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I tried Squirt (got a free sample) and applied 3 applications to a degreased chain. I applied 3 application because after two it didn't seem very lubricated and the chain was still a little noisy. Went out for my first ride with it yesterday in dry very dusty conditions and I found the chain / drive train seemed a little more noisy than it was before with the wet lube. Is this normal? It's a new bike with only 100miles on it so the drivetrain is not worn.

On inspecting the chain after the 13Km ride it is clean :D but I can't tell if there is any lube left on it. Should I be re-lubing the chain after every ride? If so then it's not going to be that economical? Also should I wipe the chain before re-applying?
  • blister pus
    hard-rider wrote:
    I tried Squirt (got a free sample) and applied 3 applications to a degreased chain. I applied 3 application because after two it didn't seem very lubricated and the chain was still a little noisy. Went out for my first ride with it yesterday in dry very dusty conditions and I found the chain / drive train seemed a little more noisy than it was before with the wet lube. Is this normal? It's a new bike with only 100miles on it so the drivetrain is not worn.
    yes tis noisier, don't be afraid to put plenty on to get it started.....
    hard-rider wrote:
    On inspecting the chain after the 13Km ride it is clean :D but I can't tell if there is any lube left on it. Should I be re-lubing the chain after every ride? If so then it's not going to be that economical? Also should I wipe the chain before re-applying?

all the dust and crap should coagulate into a smooth dark paste as you apply more and the dirt builds up it falls off in little balls of crap, that's how it works. Once you get plenty on for the first couple of rides you'll notice the noise levelling out and getting less. When the noise picks up you'll know it's time to put more on. I can go for ages without putting any on. other times, a top up after every ride. But i use normal oil when it's winter / wet for the reasons stated above.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    OK thanks. I'll lube it up again ready the next ride and see. But at least I don't get the grinding paste noise now when sand or dust gets kicked up onto the drive train.

EDIT: Forgot to ask. So you don't need to wipe the chain before reapplying?
  • blister pus
    No it's fine just apply away. it all falls off.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Squirt is fine in the dry, not so in the wet just needs a bit more applying.

Personally i prefer white lightning clean ride, but to each their own.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    i never lube the chain other wise it gets covered in dust and grinds everything away
  • blister pus
    Dazzza wrote:
    Squirt is fine in the dry, not so in the wet just needs a bit more applying.

Personally i prefer white lightning clean ride, but to each their own.

so is the white lightning wax lube better in wet or summat then, Dazzza?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Better longevity yeah, the squirt is great in the dry but have a decent spell of rain and i can wash it off in say 20 miles if not less.

Plus it seems to protect the chain from rusting better, with squirt i found where it was worn off bits would rust, yet with the wl it still seems to protect the areas.

It does get a bit blacker on the chain but ime i find it the better lube, either way it's worth a try.

Though i'll be giving fenwicks all weather lube a try in the winter.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • blister pus
    Cheers, even though I've just bought another bottle of squirt I'll pony up the extra and try the white lightning wax. squirt and rust has always got on my tits.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cheers, even though I've just bought another bottle of squirt I'll pony up the extra and try the white lightning wax. squirt and rust has always got on my tits.

I've found the White Lightning Clean Ride to be very good. I've been using it for about 4 or 5 months now. It sounds like the Squirt, except it was fine during wet weather too. It keeps the drivetrain very clean during dry weather and cleaner than with Fenwicks wet lube/White Lightning Epic Ride in the wet. And Cannock grit is horrible stuff for chains when it's wet!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • blister pus
    aye, ta, bails. i shall order some and give it a whirl. sounds like it could be a nose in front of squirt.