Putting the bell back on my bike!

digitaldave
digitaldave Posts: 114
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
When I bought my bike last year, one of the first things I did was to remove things I felt I didn't need, i.e. reflectors (if it's dark, I'll have lights on), and the bell (they aren't cool ;)).

I went out for a ride yesterday, on a loop around the town of Stevenage, where I live. Now, the cool thing about living in Stevenage is that there is an extensive network of cycle tracks all over the town, so I can do most of my circuit riding on them instead of the roads. However, it seems that some of the pedestrians don't know that the large, wide bit with white dotted lines at junctions is the CYCLE track, and the smaller, unmarked paths next to it is for pedestrians. On my ride last night, I came across about a dozen people in different places, ALL walking on the cycle track part, not the pedestrian bit. I even got abuse from one of them.

So, the upshot is that I'm thinking about putting the bell back on my bike so I can ding it when approaching pedestrians from behind on the cycle tracks. It won't stop them walking on the cycle tracks in the first place, but at least they can't claim they didn't know I was there :).

Dave.

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Get a big honk honk horn!

tobar-ltd-classic-bike-horn.jpg

There's cycle lanes in the park near me, well there was until they resurfaced it. The amount of people in the bike lane as they saw me coming was quite amusing. Even had one woman tell me off to which she got some education 'bike on pavement means cycle lanes, savi?'.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Nowt wrong with fitting a bell.
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20031101.htm
    bagpuss
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    If you ring a bell at them , or make any other kind of noise , they will abuse you even more.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    I use one on the works bike all the time, trouble is half of them take it as ' excuse me i'm behind you', the other half as 'get out of the way i'm a cyclist' and give you torrents of abuse :cry:
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    Sorry, but I don't think these half cycle lane half footpath arrangements are cool at all, except maybe when you're first learning how to ride a bike or for a quick shortcut.
    As you've found pedestrians don't keep to their side, you get dogs on really long leads, dogs not on leads that want to give you a chew, kids wandering along in a world of their own and so on.

I know its not the idea, but I find roads a lot safer!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Coolest bikebell ever. Dinosaurs and an eyeball 8) :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eyeball-bicycle-b ... 0597571105

!BsjiSD!!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-CwEvF4U2iG0BL4(Pkgz!!~~_12.JPG
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Bells are a must on shared use paths and bike lanes on pavements. I've never had any abuse from anyone for dinging my bell (!). A quick thank you to anyone who's moved out of the way (even somewhat belatedly) goes a long way. Of course you're in Stevenage so you might get stabbed instead.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    The problem I've found with bells is that a) the first time I tried using my last one, it broke, and b) a lot of pedestrians blithely wandering into the bike lane are using ear/headphones and just don't hear me.

I actually bought a horn like the one pictured, fitted it to my bike, and gone is the problem of people not hearing me, gets their attention and more than once has stopped someone in their tracks as they were about to step right out in front of me.

The only occasional problem I have is the people who hear it and look at the road instead :roll: Very few though, and far safer now I can get someone's attention instantly...such as the woman about to drag her child straight in front of a moving bike...and no, I don't (and can't!) ride at speed!
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I believe the law demands 'an audible means of warning'.

Interpret that as you will
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    ynyswen24 wrote:

As far as I'm aware there is no legal requirement to have a bell / audible warning on a bike, other than the point at which it is sold/supplied. So once you've purchased a bike from your LBS or elsewhere then there's no requirment to keep the bell on.

They may not look cool but they are helpful, I used to have one on my old commuter (new one is still being built) and it's helped let the dozy people wandering around town know that I am there!
  • ynyswen24
    Ollieda wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

As far as I'm aware there is no legal requirement to have a bell / audible warning on a bike, other than the point at which it is sold/supplied. So once you've purchased a bike from your LBS or elsewhere then there's no requirment to keep the bell on.

exactly the point I was making, though at greater length.

the vocal chords constitute an audible means of warning. A bell just seems to be ignored in a sorry mate I didn't hear you kind of way, whereas an 'excuse me..' establishes some kind of contact with the foot user
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    catapults do a good job. even with headphones if you get them on the neck back.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited May 2010
    double post.
    double post.
    how did that happen
  • ynyswen24
    perhaps, if riding a mtb with bar ends, you could rig some kind of catapult using them and a piece of knicker elastic? In a previous thread I advocated adapting the top tube of a bike into an air powered cannon shooting projectiles out of the head tube. I stand by that...
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Speaking of headphones, seems more and more people are hiding themselves in their own little musical world these days. Even when the Sony Wankman came out you only really ever saw runners with them on. These days almost everyone has an MP3 player and a good percentage of them walk around, shopping, working etc with those damn headphones in.

Dunni get me wrong, I have an iPod myself which i would dearly love to use on the bike but it's just not safe :( ANYHOO that statement could likely activate a hot-topic so ignore that :P

I dont have a bell, I'd get grief if I did. If I need to pass someone I usually start whistling, badly, then shout 'coming through right side!' to which they ALWAYS move to the right :lol:
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    click click click click click click click click clickclick click click click click click

A noisy freewheel is the only audible warning system allowed on a road bike.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Moaner wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't think these half cycle lane half footpath arrangements are cool at all, except maybe when you're first learning how to ride a bike or for a quick shortcut.
    As you've found pedestrians don't keep to their side, you get dogs on really long leads, dogs not on leads that want to give you a chew, kids wandering along in a world of their own and so on.

I know its not the idea, but I find roads a lot safer!
    So damn true, i almost prefer the road home because i slow down as many times due to fat bums blocking the path or dogs turning into my path of motion.

I wouldn't get a bell, get a pumped air horn off CRC, it fits it a bottle cage and hell, it's good for letting cars know where you are and anyone else that youre coming!
  • Runoutofgears
    Runoutofgears Posts: 348
    Despite being lucky enough (or so I thought) to have door to door cycle paths for my from home to work commmute, I now ride almost totally on the roads. The paths just seemed too dangerous, peds, dogs, children and having been threatened with physical abuse by a bunch of youth last year this was the last straw.

One thing I did notice before i moved to the roads was that older people couldnt hear the high pitched "ping" of the bell, most saying (once you get right behind them) why dont you ring your bell??? although they usually picked up on a polite "excuse-me" albeit delivered at close quaters. Any one with head phones and your wasting your time with any thing less than an air horn!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Bunneh wrote:
    I dont have a bell, I'd get grief if I did. If I need to pass someone I usually start whistling, badly, then shout 'coming through right side!' to which they ALWAYS move to the right :lol:

In my experience what they dozy twits do is turn around, right becomes left and they move in the wrong direction, straight into your path.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Shmo wrote:
    click click click click click click click click clickclick click click click click click

A noisy freewheel is the only audible warning system allowed on a road bike.
    Damn right!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    ynyswen24 wrote:

do my disc brakes screaming in the cold count?

otherwise I have a perfectly functional voice!

it has several settings for direction civility & volume going right up to an urgent declamatory mode if needs be. the battery pack and ECU for such a bell would weight more than the bike.

I've always found:

'morning (ono), coming through on your left' <passes> 'thanks' or something similar works fine as opposed to a feeble non directional ting ting noise
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Fit a gattling gun if you can get hold of one. Although you can expect complaints if you don't finish them off !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    MattC59 wrote:
    . Although you can expect complaints if you don't finish them off !!

I find this to be true in a number of contexts.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Pinging your bell just as you're about to overtake a walker at 20+MPH really annoys some of them.

Another good way is to run over their foot.....

But seriously, I reckon a bell is a must for shared use paths. I find that as long as you use it in plenty of time people react well. They absolutely hate it if you shout at them or if you leave it until you're just about to pass them, but if you start pinging about 25 meters so they've got time to register and react before you're on top of them they're generally fine!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    British Waterways has a "Two Tings" policy for cyclists warning others of their presence. Interestingly BW, like the Royal Parks, is firmly of the view that a cyclist is subordinate to every other user of the towpath and must defer. I enjoy cycling the towpaths down my way, except for the p****ures, but the rules are that you must give way.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I find a well timed swipe with a machete works best. It also appeases the noise abatement 'souls. :wink:
    Cycling weakly