First bike since 1981

djrevill
djrevill Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Hello All

The nice people at work are giving me the oppertunity to have my own bike since i was a young kid of 11 or 12 back in 1981/1982 ( have to buy from Halfords)

This bike will initialy be used for commuting in sheffield but I hope to use it for bike rides, but nothing competative. My last bike was what was then called a "racer" but i now understand that this wouldbe waht is called a road bike.

I am undecided if i should purchase a road bike or light weight mountain bike. I like the idea of getting a road bike but sheffield has tram lines. I'm no snob, so im not bothered about makes or brands just sound advice.

does any one have any suggestions on what would be best for the job and the kind of spec i need and any possible accesories i will need. any tips on commuting ( the roads are far busier since 1981)

Cheers for the help- anything is appreciated

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sheffield also has Wharncliffe Woods. I went through there on a roadie once - I was very very slow!

Get a MTB. It'll be more versatile if you have any bridleway riding in mind.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I started riding a bike again a few years ago and have found that the Giant hybrid bike I bought suits most riding conditions well. It can cope with commuting and light trail riding. So, if you intend to commute and do a bit of light off-road riding I would opt for a hybrid. There are many types and the price range is quite wide; I wouldn't go any lower than £250 and avoid Halford's Apollo brand.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords 'upmarket' carrera brand is all pretty decent quality stuff for its price, well worth looking, the 'subway; may well suit what you want, its mountain bike esque but without the weight of heavy suspension forks for the bulk of your ride.

I hadn't ridden since 1989 when I left Uni, but now commute 7miles each way most days.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm about to get my first new bike ever and I'm excited. For the last 20-odd years I've been riding a Holdsworth Reynolds 531 frame which I picked up in a jumble sale and added bits to. It's currently in a flat-bar commuter set-up. Now (with the help of Cycylescheme) I'm about to get a Giant Rapid 1 - can't wait!

- HB
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm about to get my first new bike ever and I'm excited. For the last 20-odd years I've been riding a Holdsworth Reynolds 531 frame which I picked up in a jumble sale and added bits to. It's currently in a flat-bar commuter set-up. Now (with the help of Cycylescheme) I'm about to get a Giant Rapid 1 - can't wait!

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

Don't be in a hurry to bin the Holdsworth, though.

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm about to get my first new bike ever and I'm excited. For the last 20-odd years I've been riding a Holdsworth Reynolds 531 frame which I picked up in a jumble sale and added bits to. It's currently in a flat-bar commuter set-up. Now (with the help of Cycylescheme) I'm about to get a Giant Rapid 1 - can't wait!

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

Don't be in a hurry to bin the Holdsworth, though.

Cheers,
    W.

I have one in my shed which, in reality, I probably need to sell before I move house.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I would take a flat bar, Reynolds 531 frame over a modern hybrid as a commuter any day.

Hybrid sounds right for OP, who doesn't have a classy old frame in his shed.
  • DJC013
    DJC013 Posts: 94
    Hello, have a look at the Carrera Fury from Halfords, just bought one myself, coming from a 1992 Saracen !!

Enjoy the search !

Regards, Damian. :)
    Current Bike - 1992 Saracen Tufftrax Elite - Now retired !!
    Now have - Carrera Fury 20" :):):)

Link to my Fury pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/28464546@N ... 112905307/