Has anybody had 'Helmet Cam' footage used by the Police?

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Going on from the Look East thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12703486 ,(didnt want to high-jack it), has anybody had any 'Helmet Cam' footage use by the Police after an accident?
How did it go and what were their observations of it?
Is it in our interests to have a Helmet Cam?
I have a court date in July after being knocked off in December and have no idea what happened. What good a wittness will I be with no knowledge of the accident? And would a Helmet Cam have helped me out?
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The benefit of a helmet cam is it takes away the element of doubt when both parties contradict each other and their are no independent witnesses. Often the police can't take action simply because they don't know who to believe.

Here in London the met are taking quite a pro-active stance on irresponsible road use. They have a team within the traffic division which is responsible for handling complaints against irresponsible road use. Our very own gaz545 has even been down to meeting them.

http://croydoncyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... fe-london/

I certainly feel more secure having a camera. Just the sight of it has caused motorists to give me more space than they looked likely to. The ones who still pull shady stunts get reported. It's a much better option than the old way of doing things which would be to get in a big slanging match or 'D-lock the cnut'
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I got knocked off while I was overtaking a minicab in Fenchurch St (City of London) in January.

The police (and Alyson France solicitors) have got the video from my helmet cam which clearly shows what happened. Looks like they are going to take it to court (the police have it on their CCTV as well).

It's well worth having one if you share your commute with heavy traffic, it wont stop you getting into trouble but it'll help if there are no witnesses (luckily I had 2, 1 ped and 1 m/cyclist).

I also had 2 scumbags in a TNT van spit at me in Pelham St, Chelsea. Sent that DVD to the police and TNT. Unfortunately neither the police or TNT can trace the van due to them being sub contractors to TNT, and a complicated leasing arrangement for the van. This is despite the reg No being clearly visible, as is the drivers face.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Kurako wrote:
    Here in London the met are taking quite a pro-active stance on irresponsible road use. They have a team within the traffic division which is responsible for handling complaints against irresponsible road use. Our very own gaz545 has even been down to meeting them.

http://croydoncyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... fe-london/

Thanks for the plug!

One of my videos was going to bring a prosecution to someone but the CPS decided there wasn't enough of a case.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Fenboy. The Police are using helmet cam footage to present best evidence in court, so if someone has helmet cam footage it is going to be of great use if it is required in court. However it isn't the be all and end all when it comes to evidence as sometimes what is not shown is as or sometimes more important than what is!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    spursn17 wrote:

I also had 2 scumbags in a TNT van spit at me in Pelham St, Chelsea. Sent that DVD to the police and TNT. Unfortunately neither the police or TNT can trace the van due to them being sub contractors to TNT, and a complicated leasing arrangement for the van. This is despite the reg No being clearly visible, as is the drivers face.

As far as I know, there is a legal requirement to log who is driving a vehicle, this is done in the form of completing the driving log book, I know a lot of insurance companies insist on this.

When I'm driving vehicles for my company I have to sign/date/time/mileage every single journey I take, If this vehicle is caught speeding/committing other offences the company has a legal duty to name the driver.

You can guarantee if the vehicle had killed/hit a pedestrian and drove off they would soon find out who the driver/passenger was.

I would question the B/S they have come out with.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png