racing ralphs

big_barker
big_barker Posts: 526
edited May 2010 in MTB general
hi iam running front and back racing ralphs though i fine the back slides an awfull lot, i read some reviews before buying and everyone said its great. any advice tyres pressures ar ok and its fitted the correct way round

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're pretty slippy tyres, fast but not that grippy. You might want to consider something with a bit more teeth or volume... Decent enough tyres but, well, the name tells you what they are.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Should be ok through the summer although I always like something a little knobblier on the front....esp with the UK conditions.

What pressure are you ruinning right now? I would recommend having about 30-35psi....slightly softer means that the tyre will mould a little better to the surface of the terrain. Go much lower and you risk pinch flats though (unless you're running tubeless)
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I run a 2.1 Ralph Evo on the back but paired with a 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo up front - both run tubeless on Stans rims.

I like to know that the rear will let go before the front.

Run the Ralph with 40psi is it's mainly going to be hard packed surfaces and a bit lower for more technical terrain.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I have 2.1 ralphs front and rear - seems that the front feels like it will go first (although if the back does slide its a lot easier to deal with). The NN front/RR rear seems to be a recommended combo on here for Shwalbe fans so will be giving that a go when it's new tyres time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mccraque
    depending on the bike the front wheel is more likely to go first....the longer the travel the more likely this is, unless you counter the light front end with good technique.

I'm on a Zesty and took me a couple of off's to consider that the front end was considerably lighter...therefore less bite that my old bike...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Mccraque wrote:
    depending on the bike the front wheel is more likely to go first....the longer the travel the more likely this is, unless you counter the light front end with good technique.

I'm on a Zesty and took me a couple of off's to consider that the front end was considerably lighter...therefore less bite that my old bike...

Thsi normally means eithr the bike is set up correctly if you are not able to ride it correctly or, you are just not riding the bike correctly.

You don't ride an XC bike like a DH bike do you :wink:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I have same problem. Ralph on the back and nic on the front both 2.25. Front end is great but back does have tendancy to slip out. I'll be changing to both nics v soon
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I would only use RaRas F+R if I wore my underpants on the outside and was allergic to Kryptonite.

Rocket Rons are half-way between Nics and Ralphs and although I've got one on the back, I wouldn't trust it up front. As a rear tyre the RoRo is astonishing but I think it needs a big, confident partner up front. Wear rate is frightening.
  • Mccraque
    peter413 wrote:
    Mccraque wrote:

Thsi normally means eithr the bike is set up correctly if you are not able to ride it correctly or, you are just not riding the bike correctly.

You don't ride an XC bike like a DH bike do you :wink:

It's set up correctly alright....and I am not talking major changes to technique...but the slacker the angle the more it's out in front of you (the wheel) and the less weight you naturally have on it when seated in your saddle)
  • peter413
    So move the saddle forward or shift your weight forward :roll:

Thats bike setup or technique
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have two bikes with Racing Ralph's on

Orange Clockwork has a pair of them

Cube has one out back & a Rocket Ron up front

Both used to be a less than grippy until I lowered the tyre pressure (~25psi up front & ~35 at the rear) and slowed the fork rebound down a notch.

Was out yesterday on the Cube & it gripped like shit to a blanket even on loose stuff.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Mccraque
    peter413 wrote:

So did I not mention technique then?
  • peter413
    Mccraque wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

So did I not mention technique then?

You just said that it wasn't a major change and you seemed to be blaming an unfamilier bike for having a light front end.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I find Racing Ralphs are really pressure sensitive, so they take a bit of fettling. If it's the rear sliding first then happy days :D
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Just ordered a Ron for the front and Ralph for the back - to run tubeless - having not used tubeless before [on my American Classic MTB26 Tubeless wheelset] .... so hope I like them ! Both 2.1's

Been using tubed High Rollers 'til now and do kinda like them, but wanted to try tubeless with something that rolls well .....

I guess pressure of around 35 psi is a good starting point then??

What's the thinking on different front and rear pressure and which should be higher, if not the same?!

Ta

Nig
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    on a tubeless setup with decent sidewalled tyres 20-25 is perfectly possible for a fatty like me, on thinner ones i go up to 25-30 with no issues.