Teaching kids road sense etc

CletePurcel
CletePurcel Posts: 68
I took my 9 year old daughter out on the road this afternoon to try and teach her basic road sense and road cycling practice. Up until now she has only ridden on trails and in our quiet cul de sac.

It was much harder than I thought it would be.

Even on relatively quiet roads many things happen at once that we as adults can process in an instant and anticipate potential problems. For example, cars reversing out of drives with cars parked in the line of sight to the (small) cyclist. Turning right also proved difficult even on quiet roads and some car drivers make very little allowance for the fact that a small child is on the road. My daughter said it was one of the scariest experiences she had ever had even though I was on my bike at her side the whole time.

Are there any resources available that have advice on this sort of thing? I am thinking maybe there are more professional courses available for kids to learn street skills with a qualified instructor. Does anyone know?

Cheers.
Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp
Specialized Secteur Elite

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Cyclecraft does have some advice in there.

I am sure Bikeability has courses for kids, but maybe not in your area. Their website is the first resource to consult.

My advice, after taking my 4 yo on the road to school by my side, is to:
    a) get them used to the road by some other mean: a trailer bike or a tow bar (trailgator) can help, especially if you talk to them as you ride, and ask them to tell you what they see and what they should do, to check they have the understanding

b) I would suggest if possible to enlist the help of another experienced cyclist, the most experienced of the two should be at the back. Follow the same advice Cyclecraft gives for groups.

Other than that, keep calm and show your kid you know what you are doing.

My son got a bit apprehensive when he nearly fell off yards from the school gate. There was a car behind us. I kept calm, assertively informed the driver behind, and helped him to remount his bike. I didn't pressure him at any stage because from previous experience, that has very negative consequences.
    Infact the mothers all around us were more apprehensive than us, and probably thought (wrongly!) what was I doing letting me son ride on the road. They somehow felt the need to remind me there was a car behind us. Notice by this time the car had already stopped.
    I reminded them, calmly, that the car could wait, and encouraged my son to continue his journey.

He is now demanding we ride on the road: he is certainly not ready to ride on his own but he is definitely building the confidence he needs. It helps I cycle a few thousand miles a year.

I remember I cycled on my own when i was 9yo several miles away from home and at that age I was very able to look out for danger, so I suggest that you trust your daughter more and instead concentrate on spotting danger before her and give her a heads up so that she can grow confidence.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    log on to http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... 6B003A485B
    for details of their bikeability training courses
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • CletePurcel
    Thanks for all your excellent advice. I will try and get her on a course in half-term.

Went out again with her this morning when it was quieter and it went well.
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    As a bit of ancillary assistance, you could also consider getting her to join in with the youth activity sessions that run each week by the Solihull CC. There are skill sessions run on a Thursday evening at the tarmac circuit in Tudor Grange Park and also a Saturday morning "Apple Pie Run" where various ages (accompanied by their parents) including u10s cycle out in a group to a local cafe and back. All of these would help develop general riding skills as well as be part of a little group so plenty of fun and "kids" conversations.
    http://www.solihullcc.org.uk/
  • CletePurcel
    Thanks for that. I will have a look into it.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Just a thought - have you tried tandemming? That way your child can observe what you do, and get used to looking and signalling, as well as how much you need to anticipate.
    Riding on 531
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    I keep my 4 year old off the road but I have been teaching him that all dirvers are idiots and he always expect them to do something stupid. I reckon by the time we go on the roads he'll know the score :-)