Do we all Take Pride in Cleaning our Rides?

2»

Comments

• badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    mines get a soak with shampoo and water in a foaming spray bottle, wheels and chain off usually and go over them with a 2inch round brush hosed off and lubed can do both bikes in about 2hrs ish but i have seen me not bother some days lol
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I am almost fanatical when cleaning my bikes.

It takes me approx 2 hours, as I remove wheels, chain etc, a thorough clean, then I GT85 the frame after to protect it/polish it, clean the chain and relube etc etc.....

I find it relaxing though :oops:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Mine had a good wash yesterday.

I stripped the rear cassette and rebuilt it. Never done that in the past as I've never had a chain whip.
    Thanks Lidl.

15 minutes and I was done.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I always clean it before getting any work done on it, same with the car, it;s not fair the mechanic getting covered in cack every time the touch it. After a wet ride I'll always clean it but not when it's just got a bit of dust on it
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Yeah - I'm in the clean brigade .....

usually Muc-off and hose down, then drip dry and re-lube relevant bits .....

Don't like starting rides with it too dirty - especially moving parts that grind against each other, as it'll only mean things wear out quicker.
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    If I can get my 1994 GT Timberline back I might well take a bit more pride in keeping that old girl clean.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    I hate cleaning my bike, though I almost always make myself do it.

Think it's becasue I live in a 3rd floor flat and have to store it in the hall. I hardly ever clean it straight after a ride as I'm too knackered and so usually leave it to clean in the week, a day or two after.

This involves taking it down three flights of stairs, then again down an iron spiral staircase into a car-park. Then lock it up, so I can go back up the stairs to get all my cleaning stuff and bring that back down. Then clean, with other residents constantly walking past me and peering at what I'm doing.

Then when finished, lock up in the car-park again to dry properly. Return to my flat then after a suitable amount of drying time go back down, unlock it. The spiral staircase is such that whilst the bike can be carried down, it can't be carried back up. So, open the gate at car-park and carry bike through the back alley (too much glass to ride) and then to the front door and up the stairs at the front, back to the flat. Assuming that my g/f is in and I have the fob to open the gate, otherwise wait unspecified amount of time for her to return.

I need a house with a garage or at least a garden :(
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i like cleaning my bike. after i dry ride or a short ride i don't bother cleaning it, but after a muddy ride i try to gve it at least a quick wash just after i come back. every few months i take the bike apart and clean and service everything
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    Gets pressure washed, covered in GT85 then put away untill the next time, never missed a beat in over 12 month !
  • Paul 8v
    W00DENT0P wrote:
    Gets pressure washed, covered in GT85 then put away untill the next time, never missed a beat in over 12 month !

Lol, if only it was actually as easy as that :lol:
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    when it's wet and muddy they get the full fenwick'd and washed down and then oiled with stuff appropriate for the parts and lovingly towel dried.

Since it's been dry here for about three months, it's just a run through a chain cleaner, lube and check over, although I'm now paranoid about bearings so I'm checking the wheels after every ride.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Crikey it must suck to live in a flat if you're a mountain biker - I never thought about that!

I just wheel it round the back of the house and turn the hose on (or, more frequently, open the back door and chuck it in the cellar). I feel quite fortunate.

To be honest, as long as the moving parts are clean and lubed, that's enough for me most rides.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • Paul 8v
    I'm always a little weary of Muck Off, does it strip all the grease etc from your mechs and bearings or will it just take the oil off the chain?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Crikey it must suck to live in a flat if you're a mountain biker - I never thought about that!

When living in a house with no garden in past years I have been seen cleaning my bike in the street in the pouring rain. Having a garden and hose is currently incredible.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Alternatively, just leave the muddy bike in the car all week like me :D

I'm ready to jump out on a trail at any time then (or I would be if I also bring my riding gear to change into).

Downside is the interior of the car is filthy, even with sheets down.