Best Road Wheels for £100?

andyb78
andyb78 Posts: 156
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
A friend has knackered his wheels and needs a new pair. He's got a fairly entry level Carrera road bike and was looking for something light for training runs (20-30 miles), commuting (14 miles a day) etc... Appreciate anyone's thoughts? Thanks
Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2010
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Planet X were doing their B wheels for £99 a month back. I bought a pair just as spares - they're meant to be pretty decent.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Planet X as above, or Shimano R500 for £72 from the usual online stores.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If he's up to stretching his budget I've got a pair of Mavic Aksiums on at the moment, and despite some initial spoke twisting misbehaviour (probably happens on all wheels, but it's very obvious when you got flat bladed spokes) they seem to be holding well.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    prj45 wrote:
    If he's up to stretching his budget I've got a pair of Mavic Aksiums on at the moment, and despite some initial spoke twisting misbehaviour (probably happens on all wheels, but it's very obvious when you got flat bladed spokes) they seem to be holding well.

I have pretty much settled on getting a pair to upgrade the wheels on my sectuer.
  • Paul E
    prj45 wrote:

I have pretty much settled on getting a pair to upgrade the wheels on my sectuer.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    RS10s off merlin? Done about 500 miles on mine so far and love them.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Ta for the input everyone. Greg - oddly enough he was having a look at those first Campy ones... think he might go for those...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Paul E wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

Ooo. My Aksium back wheel has got spoke hole cracks after about 800 miles. Now I'm heavy (20 stone), but I've had open pros on my other bike and had worn the braking surface out before and there was any sign of cracking (i.e. thousands of miles).

Back to open pros methinks.
  • Paul E
    prj45 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

Ooo. My Aksium back wheel has got spoke hole cracks after about 800 miles. Now I'm heavy (20 stone), but I've had open pros on my other bike and had worn the braking surface out before and there was any sign of cracking (i.e. thousands of miles).

Back to open pros methinks.

I'm not quite that heavy, but I will have a check tonight on mine as some of the roads I use on the way to work look like the raf have been using them for bombing practise and sometimes you just can't avoid the smaller craters...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have planet X C's on the winter steed, nice smooth and true after nearly 9000 miles although I did have to replace the sealed bearings a few weeks ago, not bad going though.

I also have the Mavic's on my trek, they look good and spin well but really aren't that strong as i've flat spotted them and they've needed truing more than a couple of times over the 2 years.

My trek came with bontrager race, generally flexi and spokes break a lot, they're on the turbo.

Finally I just bough some R500 because they were £68 from ribble, seem okay for the few commutes I did on the CX.

Ah yes almost forgot I have a hand built open pro cd with a stronglight hub now wow that wheel spins for ever.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.