Long distance fixed?

Craggers
Craggers Posts: 185
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm doing a fairly lengthy ride next weekend...72 miles (2200ft ascent), and I'm gonna be doing it fixed with 42/16 gearing...

....am I going to regret it?!

Longest I've ever done is 105 miles in 5hrs 43mins, which was on a fast hybrid so I've got a fair base level of aerobic fitness, but I'm worried I'm biting off more than I can chew with this one. Anone else done long distances fixed?????

Cheers

Comments

• markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Several guys did Hell of the Ashdown fixed back in January and I think I read a post from Vorsprung the other day that mentioned some people had done a 600km non-stop audax on fixed gear bikes, so it's definitely possible - whether it's sensible is another matter altogether!!

I think it depends on the terrain - 2200ft in 72 miles is not horrendous, by any stretch but it will depend on whether that is rolling roads or a couple of steep-ish hills.

I ride 42/16 SS and it is fine for around london and I occasionally do the full 25 miles home (including the hill up the side of Greenwich Park and Shooters Hill), but while I would consider doing a flat 70 miles on it, I would probably want a little less GI if there some decent hills along the way.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    TdF was fixed for the first 6 years!
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I've done a couple of 100k rides on a 51/18 (and trust me i'm hardly a strong cyclist)

Lots of the LFGSS crew do the Dunwich Dynamo and regular L2Bs on fixed.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What's your longest fixed ride before though ? Riding a long distance fixed isn't a problem - but you should build up to it like any other ride ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    stickman wrote:

It was indeed. Of course there was a great invention in gearing after that - drugs. Sorry I mean a freewheel.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I think it depends on the terrain - 2200ft in 72 miles is not horrendous, by any stretch but it will depend on whether that is rolling roads or a couple of steep-ish hills.

Problem is I live and ride in Cambridge so I'm not used to this climbing lark...my legs are probably gonna spontaniously combust at the first hint of upward gradient...

Anyone any tips on combating muscle fatigue after a long ride??? Cos I've gotta turn round and do 72 miles back the day after!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Craggers wrote:
    Anyone any tips on combating muscle fatigue after a long ride??? Cos I've gotta turn round and do 72 miles back the day after!

Lots of stretching, water and a good hearty meal. I find compression tights overnight help as well.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I did Manchester to blackpool the other year on fixed (48x16) and it was fine, the biggest obstacle was the headwind blowing in off the sea at the end.

getting yourself in a group of riders that will be going at the same pace as you is also a good move

Oddjob is spot on, remember that your metabolism will still be burning for a while after the ride so go for a carby first meal as soon as possible after the ride then some proteins later on

if you can do 105 miles in sub 6hrs then you'll be fine on the fixed gear, enjoy 8)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    supersonic wrote:
    stickman wrote:

It was indeed. Of course there was a great invention in gearing after that - drugs. Sorry I mean a freewheel.

I read somewhere that even after the invention of the freewheel, it wasn't allowed on bikes in the TdF because the organisers didn't want to make the event "too easy". Evokes pictures of whippet-thin monsieurs cresting cols on unsealed roads, carrying spare tyres with red wine swilling around in glass bidons. They were tough in those days....