Olympic Road Race route...

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
The organising comittee have obviously taken note of the serious SCR action provided by the route home through SW London and decided that this is where the fun is - the Olympic Road Race takes in much of the route home (taken from my club's website).

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ealed.html

Cue comments about the NKR and Putney Bridge...

Think we'll get a brand new bridge?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    I'd be more worried about the state of the roads in the Surrey Hills. They'll be switching to CX bikes once they get past Leatherhead. Sounds like there will be plenty of places to watch the action.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'd be more worried about the state of the roads in the Surrey Hills. They'll be switching to CX bikes once they get past Leatherhead. Sounds like there will be plenty of places to watch the action.

Unless they make the crap roads a "feature" they way they do with cobbles or The Eroica's gravel or the grass-in-the-middle Irish country lanes then they'll probably resurface any dodgy roads, but probably not until a few months before the Olympics.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Box Hill? Pathetic! i think they should do Succomb's Hill
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Brilliant - thanks for sharing the route. Will enjoy taking the kids up to Richmond Park as spectators. In 20 years time they can cite the event as the reason they became pro tour riders* :lol:

* Think Lance Armstrong rather than Paul Kimmage
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    The organising comittee have obviously taken note of the serious SCR action provided by the route home through SW London and decided that this is where the fun is - the Olympic Road Race takes in much of the route home (taken from my club's website).

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ealed.html

Cue comments about the NKR and Putney Bridge...

Think we'll get a brand new bridge?
    This was my first thought when I saw the route in CW. :D

The route is great for us SW-Londoners to spectate (goes within a few hundred metres of my home :) ) but is still not that selective in pro terms: bunch sprint up the mall is the most likely outcome. Who does that favour? ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gussio wrote:
    Brilliant - thanks for sharing the route. Will enjoy taking the kids up to Richmond Park as spectators. In 20 years time they can cite the event as the reason they became pro tour riders* :lol:

Yep - I'll probably set up camp in RP for the day. What a result.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Just disappointed they're not taking my commuter route down the A243, would love to see them have fun with the traffic island pinch points around Chessington - cue some Giro D'Italia Dutch Action! (plus would have been cool to compare there time to mine, though they don't have cars to hold them up :-))
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Have you seen the article in the ES about the route? Particularly worth reading to check out the comments. Probably deserves the award for the best put down to an anti cyclist comment :-)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... evealed.do

Silly Anti-Cyclist Rant:
    I live in Surrey and I do not want any clowns with those stupid hats cycling down our streets,can you please go somewhere else,if you do arrive here would you kindly use the proper cycle path which is well marked out.

- Davey_bouy, Chertsey, 21/05/2010 18:27

Followed by excellent put down :-):
    If you're going to adopt a pseudonym, you might as well spell it correctly, Davey_buoy

- Arfur Towcrate, Staffycher, 24/05/2010 07:02
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    So who's going to arrange a ride around the route then?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Clever Pun wrote:

that was my exact thought when Biondino shared this on Twitter :-)

@Gaz545 - I think that is a bit harsh, they are only pro's after all, to ride up Succomb's Hill you have to be a little un-hinged :-) (Succomb's Hill wasn't so bad, rather short but Zig Zag Road could be a nice one!)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Clever Pun wrote:

that was my exact thought when Biondino shared this on Twitter :-)

@Gaz545 - I think that is a bit harsh, they are only pro's after all, to ride up Succomb's Hill you have to be a little un-hinged :-) (Succomb's Hill wasn't so bad, rather short but Zig Zag Road could be a nice one!)

Granted, that's a 1 in 5 or steeper (two arrows on the OS map), but it's all over and done with in about 500m. You need to string a whole load of those together for it to be a real challenge. Chapel Lane out of Westhumble is a fair bit longer, and just as steep in places
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Has this route been approved by the UCI yet? I'd wait until the UCI signs-off on it before scouting out vantage points.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Gussio wrote:
    In 20 years time they can cite the event as the reason they became pro tour riders* :lol:

* Think Lance Armstrong rather than Paul Kimmage

Dopers in Denial rather than Anti-Doping Crusader? I'm sure why any father would want their kids to turn out like that single-bollocked kn0bhead.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr