Helmets and Sunglasses

brian17n
brian17n Posts: 14
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I seem to suffer a problem with the rear tension band on my helmet pushing the sunglass legs downward into my ears. I have tried a few helmets from Giro and Specialized and they give me same problem.
Is this common or is just me. Is my head the wrong shape.
I never suffered this with the old helmets without the tension band.
It's not a serious problem but I does get on my nerves after a while.
Can anybody recommend a helmet/sunglass combination,
I have a total budget of around £150-£200 so plastic surgery is not an option.
All comments are welcome.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Put your sunglasses on after your helmet, then the arms will be on the outside of the tension band...
    That's what I do :wink:

Saved you £200.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    presuming you dont mean the actual chin strap but the horizontal tensioner that fits it to your head??? I use Giro Ionos with Spiuk glasses with no problems but i do put them ver the straps.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    +1 - Helmet on first - glasses on second.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • stokepa31
    here is a picture of how mine sit. its touching the band but doesnt giv me a problem

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... nt=lid.jpg
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    +2 helmet first, glasses second. Safer in case you have any accident, god forbid.

Also helps when a bug manages to fly into the small gap between your helmet and glasses and gets under them - I know :wink:

1967 Engine
  • brian17n
    brian17n Posts: 14
    Thanks for the replies.
    Stokepa31, I think your picture shows the same arrangement as mine except your sunglass legs don't go so far back over the tension band.
    I think I may need new glasses with shorter legs.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Oakleys on after the helmet
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    over the straps ftw
    I'm the same though

how contador has a gap between the arms of his frames and the tension band i dunno. must have really low ears or something lol
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    + a hell of a lot for helmet on first. I didn't used to, then I came off.The front end went and I hit the deck hard on my left temple, as the glasses were held in place by my helmet straps they embedded them selves into my cheek bone. no compaints about the NHS who did a splendid job at James Cook in Middlesborough.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • stokepa31
    brian17n wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Stokepa31, I think your picture shows the same arrangement as mine except your sunglass legs don't go so far back over the tension band.
    I think I may need new glasses with shorter legs.

I though the Spiuks were great value (£50). came with some high contrast lenses and a set of photochromatic for when its not so sunny. Giro ionos is by far the best lid ive ever owned
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I use an Ionos with my BBB glasses.
    Bought a pair of Rudy Project Raydons yesterday, still no problems :D
    The arms on the Raydons are very long, so I may nip half an inch off them, but it's not problematic...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Over the straps. Anything else is a breach of the cycling rules.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    I had the same problem with a Bell Volt and Oakley Jawbones. It happens with some helmet and glasses combinations, depending on the relative positions of your ears and nose... :wink:

I wanted the stems of the glasses to sit over the tension band or above it, but they would keep sliding off the band to sit below it, causing the front of the glasses to lift slightly off my nose in the process... incredibly annoying.

I found a solution. I got a couple of zip ties and fixed them onto the tension bands on each side as in the photo below, and then cut all the excess off. This creates two little ledges that stop the stems of the glasses slipping below the band. Works brilliantly and I haven't had any problems since.

You need to get the zip ties in exactly the right place and pull them pretty tight. If you get them in the wrong place they are quite difficult to remove without damaging the band, so perhaps try experimenting with the fit before pulling them completely tight and cutting off the excess.

dsc2801q.jpg