Ebay seller not selling!

mfereborn
mfereborn Posts: 480
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I recently bought a rear wheel (a mavic rim with magura hub) from a pirvate seller on ebay, i won the item for £20.50 and paid immediately. i won this item about a week ago and today i recieved a refund with no explination. i can only assume the seller has realised its potential value as its almost a dt swiss hub .

Where do i stand?

I plan to take it as far as possible and if hes a trade seller (im assuming hes private however) i'll involve trading standards as he's breached his contract. the wheel could be crushed, i still want it out of principle!

Unfortunately there are alot of excuses he could make :cry:

Any advice?
The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I doubt you have any comeback - he has refunded you.

If he sells it again I would report to ebay, but legally I do not think there is anything you can do.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Sellers have a right to refuse service to anyone, so I think you probably don't have a case at all.
  • mfereborn
    Is that the same if hes trade/private?
    What about the fact technically it was sold, if he didnt want to sell me it why did it take him a week to decide? why me? i have 100% rating...

He's one STUPID man i'll give him that.
  • supersonic
    Annoying yes, but legally he has not done anything wrong really - can't supply goods, refund issued.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Annoying yes, but legally he has not done anything wrong really - can't supply goods, refund issued.

So what your saying is anytime something doesnt sell for what I think is a good price I can just refund the money :shock:

Damn wish I had known that I have sold a few elctronics recently some didnt get what I hoped for but I still supplied the goods. Even lost money on one item when I didnt weigh it and it weighed a lot more than I thought..
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    Legally yes.

Morally...

You could simply say they got damaged, were stolen, accidentally sold, any number of reasons.
  • Life's too short, move on...
    This is my signature...
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    If the same wheel appears again on Ebay at a higher price, report him to Ebay. They can and do penalise wrongdoers. My cousin got done for exactly the same thing, although he is a business seller. They stopped all of his sales for two months!

Also leave negative feedback. I personally am very wary of buying from people with less than 100% positive. I even pay extra to buy from such people, even if someone with 99.8% is selling the same thing for less.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Legally yes.

Morally...The guy is a Tw*t

You could simply say they got damaged, were stolen, accidentally sold, any number of reasons.

There fixed that for you sonic :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mfereborn
    cheers lads, the guy does have 99.5% rating out of 400+sales so i should have stood a wide birth... nevermind!
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    Problem with the feedback system is even if the buyer does everything right, people can still be A$$holes and leave negative feedback if they think somethings not right. But If i sold something to u and it took you a week to pay and you were rude or ignored emails, i can't warn anyone about it. Strange system!

I've sold things at a loss before, but it's an auction. Take the risk. Shame you got a duff deal mfereborn
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If the reserve was met then I the item is yours, you paid up in good time, it is a contract and without good reason should be completed. I think this would come under prodduct avialabilty http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/s ... ces.html#4 report the seller as it took a week for a refund,
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    If the reserve was met then I the item is yours, you paid up in good time, it is a contract and without good reason should be completed. I think this would come under prodduct avialabilty http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/s ... ces.html#4 report the seller as it took a week for a refund,

that's how I understood the rules too. I seem to recall some german geezer being forced to part with a yacht for not a lot of money because of that rule, although that was years ago. In the same way you're not allowed to say on their ads that it's "advertised elsewhere" and then magically sell it to an unknown third person just because you don't get what you believe to be a fair price
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    The only thing you can do is leave negative feedback, unless he has given you a good reason to why he cant send the item!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........