rant rant rant

psymon
psymon Posts: 1,562
edited May 2010 in MTB general
im 30 ive been mountain biking for around 15 years and have just come across a couple of issues.

its bad i know but i have only just bought a helmet - a fox flux (inspired by a race i was meant to do, the Mull grand traverse that has since been cancelled).
It seems its main function, untill i crash at least, is "insect scoop". add this to my "dynamic" (TM) hairline and i can feel all manner of multi legged winged things crawling over my scalp.
I have been wearing a bandana underneath until todays 25degree heat and judging by the forecasts i can look forward to a summer of entomology.

the second is... i have used bottles and cages for 14 years. but due to current trends and my new giant vt's frame that will only take a bottle in the prime mud/dog egg collection location under the down tube i decided to get a (rip off) camel back.
the issue i have with this is any of the water not in the tube is warm enough to stick a twinnings english breakfast bag in.

3rd rant. walkers who pick up their dogs carp and relocate it to the steep upslope of a jump should have their faces rubbed in it. i was in billinge woods in wigan today and one jump had at least 4 dogs worth complete with plastic bags. this is also the woods were walkers used carpet gripper strips to lay across the trial in and ingenious stinger set up.

still love it tho. anybody else feels the need to vent please do so.

Comments

• 1) i'd rather a helmet than be brain dead

2) put ice in your pack

3) D-lock said dog walkers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are Lids out there with bug mess on the forward verts.

take some tea bags with you next time

and

I agree.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Branches dragged across the trails in haigh hall woods, not as bad as the fishing line stretched between trees that they used to use.Also them dog leads that stretch about twenty foot round corners. Rant over.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Also annoying with dog walkers who put it in a plastic bag and then leave it hanging on a tree. Why? What is the logic behind this?

psymon wrote:
    i decided to get a (rip off) camel back.
    the issue i have with this is any of the water not in the tube is warm enough to stick a twinnings english breakfast bag in.

Probably where your problem is. Liquid in my camelbak, which is a proper camelbak, stays cool for hours and hours and hours.
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    yeah ive met the trees in haigh hall too. they do the same in elnup woods in shevington as well and ive been shouted at in there.
    though to me log traps just make the trail more "technical".

HA....bikers 1 walkers 0
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RealMan wrote:
    Probably where your problem is. Liquid in my camelbak, which is a proper camelbak, stays cool for hours and hours and hours.

Same in mine. Still nice to add some ice cubes in peak summer though.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    1. Can't say I've ever had an issue with bugs on any of my helmets. Although a wasp did fly into one of the vents at the weekend. I don't think I've ever bailed so fast in my life!

2. Assuming your problem is with the water in the tube and not the bladder, you could just blow down the tube, blowing the water back into the bladder.
    Obviously, you'll not get that instant hit of water when you bite the valve, but it's one or t'other.

3. People like that should be fed their dogs shlt, before being fed to their dog.
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    2. -- Could try one of these -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camel ... 300002968/

Never tried one but meant for use in cold and hot.....
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    try taking a proper "Camel" it kills to birds with one stone:- water portage and can stand or shit on the loving little pooches :twisted:
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    ooooops "TWO"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bearfraser
    there is an edit button. try it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    I can't believe people put stuff on the paths and even fishing line between trees to stop people riding! I've never come across it myself.

I am also a dog walker and I always pick his muck up (with a bag) and putit in the bins or take it home if there are no bins. It is one of my most hated things when people don't do this and give good dog owners a bad name. And I agree with cat, people like that should be fed it!
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    1) Insects are a good source of protein

2) My Source bag (not a ripoff) stays cool as well.

3) Yes the bag it and leave it people defy even the lowest levels of intelligent reasoning. It actually makes the problem worse because the dog doo takes longer to decompose.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I think the whole tree-hanging lark is just people hanging it up to pick it up when they come back and just forgetting. Nobody wants to carry a steaming turd around with them for 2 hours if there's no bin.
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    chedabob wrote:
    hanging it up to pick it up when they come back and just forgetting. Nobody wants to carry a steaming turd around with them for 2 hours if there's no bin.

Forgetting is no excuse, i've carried bagged dog shit around for hours many times as it's my dog and my responsibility. As was said above, these bag it and leave it crowd are the dumbest cretins of all and end up tarring the rest of us with their thicko brush.

Oh and you used to be able to get a little neoprene sleeve for over the drinking pipe to stop it freezing or getting too hot, dont know if it's still out there or not.

Top tip, cut the bottom of the wifes fish net stockings and stretch it over yer helmet et viola a handy bug catcher.

Second top tip, dont be around when the wife finds said mutilated stockings. :wink:
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • fill your camelbak and chuck the camelbak bladder in the freezer a few hours before a ride, itll ice up enough to keep your water/juice freezing until you get home. and when the condensation soaks through it cools your back a little too
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    pootree.jpg

Maybe when they came back they couldn't remember which one was theirs?