Road mech, 11-34 cassette

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Wonder if anyone can help, as I'm running 1x9 on my commuter, I'm running an MTB 11-34 rear cassette to get the right spread of gears for my up/down hill speeds (not a London commute then!), I could drop to a 32T at the rear but no taller geared!

Currently I'm running a Deore LX rear mech, but would ideally like to save some weight by running a road rear mech, however all the Shimano tech docs seem to limit them to a highest gear count of 28.

Any suggestions appreciated, not managed to get data on the other makers yet!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just fit an MTB short cage mech.

you will not save much is any weight from using an equivalent road mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks Nick, the LX is a short cage (although heavier than the long cage XT i was using which is now going on my MTB).....pennies not available for an XT, but mid range road stuff on the bay is cheaper than the same weight top MTB stuff! (e.g. Sora front mech as chain guide is cheaper than the heavier XT)

Still shouldn't complain I just got a 1kg rear wheel for £4 (Sun rim, m475 hub needs a spoke and truing) to replace my heavy Alex rimmed m475 number (1.33Kg)......for my commuter I'm a weight weenieing penny pincher!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.