Spare tyre - overkill?

DomWint
DomWint Posts: 59
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
I'm doing the Peak District Polaris Challenge next month and, as a newbie, I'm not sure what I need to carry with me, bike-wise. It's over two days and I'd hope we'd cover 40-50 miles (remember, I am a beginner!).

My brother-in-law, who's doing the ride with me, has got a few spare inner tubes but is now talking about spending £25 on a folding bead spare tyre "in case one of ours gets shredded". AIUI, we're only riding on roads and bridle paths. Is this really necessary?

Other than that I'm thinking water, food, jacket, pump, repair kit/tools... Anything else I should think of?

Comments

• phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

But I'd imagine you can get away with a puncture repair kit and a spare tube for that type of terrain.
  • DomWint
    Ooh, hello. They look better than a spare tyre in every way. Thanks, anjs.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Try and find one of the small rolls of Duck Tape, sometimes Tesco and Halfords sell them... Fit easily in a pack and you can repair anything with enough of it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DomWint
    True. As the saying goes: "If you can't duck it, f**k it."
  • Carry a spare mech hanger too
  • DomWint
    Carry a spare mech hanger too

Had to look up what that was. :oops:

They tend to kop it, do they?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Always worth carrying a spare hanger on "expedition" kind of rides.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Don't mean to be mean, but unless you intend to be riding on glass for the 40-50 miles, you should be just fine. :D

Those PT stickers looks pretty good though. :D
  • DomWint
    :D No offence taken. It's not as if I'm off across the Pyrenees or something. It's just we seem to be getting a bit gung-ho. What's the expression? "All the gear, no idea."

I've only been back on the bike since March but I'm really enjoying being out on it and think I would like to do more events like this over the years so I want to make sure that nothing stupid ruins this event or it could well put me off.

I'm not one that usually spends too much money on hobbies - just buy something and get on with it, so there seems to be an overwhelming amount of options on MTB and I want to make sure I'm not missing something stupid. :D
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    DomWint wrote:
    :D No offence taken. It's not as if I'm off across the Pyrenees or something. It's just we seem to be getting a bit gung-ho. What's the expression? "All the gear, no idea."

I've only been back on the bike since March but I'm really enjoying being out on it and think I would like to do more events like this over the years so I want to make sure that nothing stupid ruins this event or it could well put me off.

I'm not one that usually spends too much money on hobbies - just buy something and get on with it, so there seems to be an overwhelming amount of options on MTB and I want to make sure I'm not missing something stupid. :D

A tire kind of "went" on me not too long ago - but it probably had 900-1200KMs (not sure :oops): on it and it was the rear.
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    Call me a cheapskate, but I carry a toothpaste tube instead of boots. The shiny outside is relatively waterproof, and combined with some zip ties (always carry some) it'll get you home. One of my riding colleagues rode the majority of White's Level in Afan with a a toothpaste tube and zip ties holding his tyre together!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, toothpaste tube is the perfect boot.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Thin cardboard or bit of old innertube and duck tape work well enough for a tempory repair to a tyre, though have a look at on one they have some folding tyres for a tenner, that is what I would do :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: