protein

Swan-Neck
Swan-Neck Posts: 47
edited November 2010 in Amateur race
is there such thing as a protein overdose? if so how would it make you feel.. i am feeling pretty dead on the bike at the minute and get the feeling it may be taking too much protein after riding - i get alot of rest and eat good food so this is what iv got it down too. i get the feeling the protein is making my muscles very heavy which is making me feel this way. any ideas? thanks

Comments

• You can get protein poisoning, but I doubt it's gonna happen through overdosing on recovery drink unless your diet isn't balanced. Maybe it's overtraining.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Now then Ugly Duclking... There is such a thing as self protien poisoning but thats for those of a strange disposition who have ribs removed and engage in alternative acts like the squiggle formerly known as an artist of a musical outlook.

Sounds like you have overcooked it and need to ease off. try riding at a proper recovery ( no more than 15mph ) pace for a couple of hours in a low gear and no efforts on a regular basis in place of a 'ard sess and you'll be reet. Recovery is misunderstood by a lot and simply drinking a bit of froth aint 100% of the story - you need to listen to yer leggys and ease up when they scream.
  • Overconsumption of protein can make you fat, proteins have a caloric value just like sugars and fats do. The amino acids that make up protein can be converted into sugars through a process called gluconeogenesis.

Excessive protein intake also stresses your kidney function.

Other than that, unless you're taking really silly quantities, your body will just use the excess as (very expensive!) fuel.

You're either just burnt out and need to give your body a rest, or you're overdoing the protein in favour of sufficient carbs.

Too much protein won't make your "muscles heavy" - your body can only use a certain amount of proteins for muscle building/repair, after which it is just stored as fat ot burnt off... I think 20% protein in your diet is believed to be the maximum your body needs, even for specifc muscle-building programs.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • ... can also increase risk of dehydration as your kidney's will be working overtime and you'll be passing more urine

...and dehydration could explain your physical symptoms
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Some simple cards during and after training/racing helps restore the glycogen stores in your musscle's aswell.

Protine is only for repairing the musscles.

Personaly i find Lucosade Sport (the still one) the best especialy during a long ride.

There are Gels aswell but ive yet to try them out.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Quote: Some simple cards during and after training/racing helps

Do you mean like snap or rummy? :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Snap!
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Doubt it could be an overdoes of protein, could be just a training overdoes or combination of that and not enough hydration?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.