Which 5 TdF stages should we go to?

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,550
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello all,

This summer my wife, newborn daughter & I plan to follow the TdF in our recently purchased 30 year old Chevy Camper, getting the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and then after the 2nd Tourmalet stage returning to UK from Santander to Portsmouth.

Half our friends think we are nuts, the other half are utterly jealous.

When I say we are going to follow the tour allow me to clarify. I have negotiated a trip round France in exchange for being allowed 5 stages to watch. I have also been offered a place on the Etape so we will be spending a week or so in the Pyrenees.

We will definately be at the prologue and the 2nd Tourmalet stage... leaving three other stages to watch.

IMG00131-20100325-1808.jpg

So I have some tough choices to make... your collective advice on what you think will be the best stages and places to watch please?

Comments

• awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    Definatley in the jealous camp. I have a 5 month old and would love to educate him on the tdf!

Was planning a quick trip to the Pau stage and arrival in to Bordeax the next day (mmm wine) but Mrs W didnt seem to keen on the trip so working on next year now! Those two would have given me a sprint and mountain stage.
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    I'm half expecting the Tour to be a bit of an anti climax after watching a fantastic Giro so this year I'm heading to stage 4 which has sections of cobbles and could be more interesting than most. I'll look out for the Chevy!

By the way, great idea to go now when the wee one's very young - it's a whole lot easier than the toddler stage. A few years ago I met a Dutch couple with a 3 month old on Glandon doing a similar camper trip and taking turns on the bikes (how come the Dutch are so cool?).