A31 in Hampshire

B.B.
B.B. Posts: 21
Hi guys

I am going to pick up a car from Shaftesbury in Dorset... and live in London.

So I though what better than to cycle down there... gets my long ride done when I'd otherwise be sat on the motorway.

I've had a look and come up with a 125 mile or so route down there, via Guildford, Winchester, Romsey and a bit of the New Forest.

Just need some Hampshire locals to tell me whether the c.40 mile stretch of A31 from Guildford to Winchester is suitable for cycling, or if it's horrible fast dual carriageway stuff.

Any ideas?

If it's unsuitable then the route will probably become too long to cycle. I'm training for an Ironman in July, so up to 130 miles (slowly!) is probably fine, but any more is just plain silly.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    It's a fast road, most stuff will fly past doing 70mph. Quite a lot of dual carriageway. I wouldn't want to cycle along there, but there are loads of other roads in the area which would be suitable.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I'm reasonably local to that area (live 4 miles south of Guildford), Its doable but wouldn't be pleasant between Guildford and approx. Alton, after that it goes single carriageway for a while then gets busy again.

Staying north or south of the A31 is much nicer though.

I've an audax route from just south of me to Stonehenge if you want me to dig it out, could be of use but never actually ridden it myself.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Yup, I wouldn't ride the A31 along that route, too much high speed traffic. (Worth notiing, though that there are some decent wide straight stretches, and there is apparently a good TT route along there for getting your PB down). But with so much decent countryside round there, I would recommend a different route.

I live in Winchester and have ridden to relatives in Guildford. Can't remember the Guildford end of the route that well, but working backwards would recommend:

Puttenham>Waverley>Crondall/Long Sutton (north side of A31)>

then I'm into territory I know better and would recommend

Lower/Upper Wield>down onto B3046 through Candovers into Alresford>Itchen Abbas>Kings Worthy> round north side of Winchester>

Don't take A3090 out to Romsey from Winchester (bit narrow and hilly just outside of Winchester, too much fast traffic unable to see over the brow of the hill)

instead try over

Farley Mount>braishfield> into Romsey

Clearly there are more direct routes, but this way you get to enjoy the Hants countryside.

Enjoy!