Padded Bar Tape and Gloves

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
So, I've mentioned before here that I've been getting pins and needles in my hands. Originally thought this was something to do with degenerated discs in my back, however physio thinks it may also have something to do with the fact that I do so much cycling that the nerves that run through the palms of my hand are being compressed. He suggested that I try to use the top of the bars rather than the hoods and drops and see if it improves. he also suggested that I get more padded gloves and padded bar tape....

So does anyone have any recommendations on the padded equipment front?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Try the Specialized BG range of gloves?

They're padded to protect your ulnar nerve.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Padded bar tape's horrible stuff. Feels far too big under the hands, and ruins the transition onto the hoods. If I was going to do anything on the bars, I'd double wrap the drops and tops, leaving the area around the hoods single wrapped.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Aidy wrote:
    Try the Specialized BG range of gloves?

They're padded to protect your ulnar nerve.

I can second that recommendation. Been using Specialized gloves for years.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    whyamihere wrote:
    Padded bar tape's horrible stuff. Feels far too big under the hands, and ruins the transition onto the hoods. If I was going to do anything on the bars, I'd double wrap the drops and tops, leaving the area around the hoods single wrapped.

you can get a gel layer I think goes beneath the bar tape HH I suspect that will do you good
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You could adjust the sideways positioning of the hoods. I had annoying palm pain in my right hand, and then after a small prang in which I bent the right-side hood inwards (pushed it outwards again, but not all the way) I found the new shape/position gave me much less discomfort!
  • Bar gel made by fizik. Used by pros as well as double wrapping bars sometimes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... 2AodiSoqHw

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    biondino wrote:
    You could adjust the sideways positioning of the hoods. I had annoying palm pain in my right hand, and then after a small prang in which I bent the right-side hood inwards (pushed it outwards again, but not all the way) I found the new shape/position gave me much less discomfort!
    Does anyone who has experimented actually prefer parallel hoods ?

Angle of hoods to horizontal is anoither variable that might help even out the pressure - could move hoods a few mm on the bars, and or rotate the whole bar a few degrees.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1 for the Spesh BG gloves. I use the pro mitts and am on my 4th pair in about 10 years.

Think that double-taping the bars is common practice for things like Paris-Roubaix, so probably a good idea. Certainly can't do any harm to try.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll certainly get a pair of those gloves and perhaps some gel stuff to put under the bar tape...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Thanks for the recommendations above for the specialized BG gloves. I just got some mitts and they are the badgers nadgers!
    us0.png