FAO Halfords

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I know you check the forums as I have seen you post :wink:

Why do some of your stores not even allow a simple test ride around the carpark to get a feel for the size and fit of the bike? I have not come across ANY other shop who have this terrible policy. And many allow a full test ride.

Surely all it takes is some ID, a credit card etc.

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Would you buy an Apollo or a Shockwave if you'd ridden it first?

Yes...I know they sell more than Apollos and Shockwaves.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • supersonic
    If it worked for my purposes and fit and felt right, yes.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I wouldn't...but then again me not shopping at Halfords for anything is all to do with them ripping off consumers with their 'half price' and '£150 off'' deals.

Rather like HMV and their buy one get one free DVD offers.

I'm off topic so will leave you in peace to await a reply from Halfords.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • supersonic
    Yes, I disagree with that pricing policy too lol.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    NEWS JUST IN !

Supersonics rant now over.

that is all , thank you.

:D

it is a dumb policy tho.
    can remember a pal buying bike just after crimbo from halfords , GT aggressor , sound bike for the money.
    i asked him did you have a quick ride round to ensure correct size ?
    " Na , just sat on it in the store "
    :? good grief. :lol:
  • RC76
    RC76 Posts: 16
    They would have to put the bikes together safely to allow that.

Somebody arrived at a club social ride a few weeks ago with their new bike from Halfords. The forks were attached backwards. He had questioned it with staff Halfords and they assured him it was correct.

"Every bike gets a complete safety check" doesn't mean much when the guy doing it doesn't know which way around a set of suspension forks go.
  • supersonic
    Yep, I am grumpy today lol, man flu.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    supersonic wrote:
    I know you check the forums as I have seen you post :wink:

Why do some of your stores not even allow a simple test ride around the carpark to get a feel for the size and fit of the bike? I have not come across ANY other shop who have this terrible policy. And many allow a full test ride.

Surely all it takes is some ID, a credit card etc.

Our store will allow test rides but the main problem personally with doing it is that the amount of 'scum' that walk though the door go to bikehut and are 'Awww man check out those bombers on that!' they would just start asking to test and test and test and never buy.

Another thing is that because there is no 'demo' models all displays are on the stock file and ae available to purchase which means through the reserve and collect system it doesnt even have to get reserved by a member of staff.

BUT i totally agree with you and as far as im aware its not a policy its just management at the stores who decide.
  • supersonic
    Yes, I feel sorry for some staff.
  • biff55
    i wouldnt mind to be honest about their company policy but theres been a couple of times i've been in my local halfords perusing bits on display and over-heard some woeful sizing advice given to folk shopping for bikes.
    In perticular a downs syndrome kid and his mum being shown a FS clearly way to big.
    :?
    in those circumstances a ride round the car-park is the ONLY way of ensuring a good fit.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I assume because they dont want to have to discount the bike due to it effectively being a used bike after it's been ridden outside.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • supersonic
    It is, but many stay on display anyway. Plus other shops do this.
  • biff55
    an organisation like halfords can easily afford / arrange to have demo bikes of the most popular models available in some , if not all , stores.
    FFS , its not that difficult
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Look it's a chav store, that sells chave shopping list stickers for the side of your car.. and really badly sellbikes in the hope of catching some white sock tracksuit wearing moron into buying summat lol.

:P long live internet shopping.
  • biff55
    Look it's a chav store, that sells chave shopping list stickers for the side of your car.. and really badly sellbikes in the hope of catching some white sock tracksuit wearing moron into buying summat lol.

:P long live internet shopping.

halfords waaay to upmarket for the chavs in my town.
    second , sorry third hand rusty argos specials are considered top of the line.
    :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    I never said you couldn't by good bikes there Bails.. i sad its for chavs hehe

Specially with there shopping list cars..

Kenwood
    alpine.
    ocz

all down the side hehe
  • biff55
    bails87 wrote:

fine collection of chav-mobiles you've shown us there.
    do you get a free burburry baseball cap with any of those ? :D
  • bails87
    Yeah, but it's not just for chavs, was my point.

Because I'm not a chav! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Thewaylander
    Sorry Bails mate.. Your from the midlands and your from halfords your not supporting your case here mate..

If you have a corsa/nova or any other car like that now you will be on my anti chav hit list when i come to power.. ( cackles insanely)
  • bails87
    Sorry Bails mate.. Your from the midlands and your from halfords your not supporting your case here mate..

If you have a corsa/nova or any other car like that now you will be on my anti chav hit list when i come to power.. ( cackles insanely)

Ahem, Newport!! :lol:

And I'm not from Halfords, I just bought my bike from there. I thought that would fit well with your "not getting ripped off because of the brand name" anti-Mac tendencies. Aha! :D
    MTB/CX

• Thewaylander
    I'm not from newport.. :p I'm just passing through.. I'm actually from a well todo little town called Llantwit major :p which is also used for the odd worlds surf qualifying rounds hehe :P

But you shopped in halfords mate.. halfords for not just one bike but what 5? crazy crazy man...
  • bails87
    I wish I could afford to buy all 5 of those bikes :wink:
    MTB/CX

• nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Halfords annoy me by selling BMX tubes for £5 to kiddies who clearly don't have a choice nor can afford them. Shameful.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    nickfrog wrote:
    Halfords annoy me by selling BMX tubes for £5 to kiddies who clearly don't have a choice nor can afford them. Shameful.
    tubes cost a fiver in a lot of places, pretty standard. i don't get why you would be annoyed.
  • bails87
    hounslow wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:
    tubes cost a fiver in a lot of places, pretty standard. i don't get why you would be annoyed.

I don't get that either.

And they do have a choice, because they can choose to buy them, or not buy them. And if they can't afford them then how are they buying them? :wink:
    MTB/CX

• abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    Bails - nice of you to post a picture of the Boardman Mountain Bike Pro Full Suspension because if you went to a shop you would be unlikely to see one let alone ride it round the car park. I've been in plenty of branches and there are never any on display.

What did you buy and did you get to ride your bike before you bought it?
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Here Here Supersonic !

My local store seems to depend on the member of staff you deal with.

Last year when I bought my Pro HT, the guy who I spoke to on my first visit (younger guy, but quite knowledgeable) let me out in the car park for a spin.

When I went back the 2nd time to actually buy it, I spoke to a different guy and he said nope, no can do and just let me ride down the shop.

Halfords, if you want people to buy your bikes, let them try them out !
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    bails87 wrote:
    hounslow wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:

I don't get that either.

And they do have a choice, because they can choose to buy them, or not buy them. And if they can't afford them then how are they buying them? :wink:

And i thought £3.50 from me LBS was bad :oops: lol
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    abductee wrote:
    Bails - nice of you to post a picture of the Boardman Mountain Bike Pro Full Suspension because if you went to a shop you would be unlikely to see one let alone ride it round the car park. I've been in plenty of branches and there are never any on display.

Even more outrageously, my local Trek dealer doesn't carry stock of every Trek, and has no demo fleet. SHOCK.

Seems to me that demoing out of a Halfords is generally a pretty poor thing in any case, I've demo'd from my local and all you can do is bunnyhop around the car park, really gives you no feel for a bike. Now, if I was Halfords, I'd be picking out a few major trail centres around the company and putting in a Bikehut focusing not on sales but on demos, or paying trailcentre shops to carry a few on their fleets.
    Uncompromising extremist