Disc Brakes Bedding In

mattgreen
mattgreen Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hiya guys and gals,

I've just got back into cycling, and after realising that my 12 year old Raleigh Activator was trying to kill me, i've bought a new bike. Its a very cheap and cheerful generic bike from a certain orangeyblack retailer. I know its not the best, but it was all I can afford, and is a step in the right direction.

The issue I have is with the disc brakes. I guess they take a bit of bedding in and possibly setting up, but how long should I expect to wait before they start perftorming? I've probably only done about 10 miles on it, but have been gently dragging the brakes on the down hills.

Any ideas/advice for a first time disc brake user? I used to have a set of Shimano V's on my old bike, which were great and would lock either wheel with no issue, really nice and grabby.

Thanks!

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    they really need about 20 fast hard stops, find a long hill, go as fast as you can down it an slam the nrakes on until you nearly stop, do this a few times and your regular riding will bring them up to standard
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Don't drag gently in the brakes, you risk glazing the new pads and you'll never get full efficiency, a couple of hard stops should do it, as you need the pads and discs to match up perfectly - it took a few weeks for my pads to bed in after swapping my wheels which were fitted with a different pair of discs..
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • mattgreen
    Righto, hard stops it is then. These downhills, those are the good bits after the hard work bits right?
  • abarth_1200
    you got it :D
  • abarth_1200
    you got it :D
  • bigred407
    bigred407 Posts: 4
    Wow... "Raleigh Activator" i remember those!!
  • mattgreen
    Elastomer front suspension and everyfink, properly hardcore. Will be on the bay of E soon if anyone fancies a 'retro' purchase!