Nevegals sizing off- but not the usual way tyres are off...

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I just dragged out a 2.35 DTC nevegal I've had lying around for ages but never used. Weighed it and it's lighter than my 2.1 stick-e so I threw it on the Soul to try, but as I pumped it up I thought, that's a bit big... The printed logos are all 2.35, but the embossed size on the carcass is 2.5! The sizing point-to-point is very close to 2.5. Hmm, also it's madly underweight for a 2.35 folder, 600g, Kenda's claimed weight is 720g. Anyone else come across this?

I've got an actual definate 2.5 Nevegal in the shed too somewhere, I'll need to find it and compare.
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Got a spare brand new one of these in the car, so I'll stick it on the kitchen scales at work in the morning and get back to you
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I had some supposed 2.1's a while back, was more like a 2.35/2.4 when inflated, fat old thing it was!
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I didn't think there was a defined measurement (i.e. which point to which point) that tyre makers all used.

I've got 2.0s that are bigger than 2.2s so it must vary between makers the two points which they measure between.

Weight wise though who'd have thought a company that makes things for bikes would actually claim something was heavier that it was. That's a turn up for the books!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I have 26x2.1 nevegal dtc and they come up bigger than maxxis 2.35 i measured them at about 2.3, so same with all nevegals. mine weigh 580g
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I have 26x2.1 nevegal dtc and they come up bigger than maxxis 2.35 i measured them at about 2.3, so same with all nevegals. mine weigh 580g

+1, Mine are the cheap ones from On One and they weigh same as yours and as advertised, 580g. I'd say they are slightly slimmer than the 2.35 Ignitors that came off.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, I'm used to sizing being all over the place, though usually Nevegals are pretty much as claimed- my 2.35 stick-es and my various 2.1s are all spot on. It's just this one that's weird, since it quotes 2 different sizes actually on the tyre! And also, there's no DTC folding nevegal 2.5 that I can find, and the stick-e 2.5 is about a kilo.

It's a bit odd.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • handful wrote:
    I have 26x2.1 nevegal dtc and they come up bigger than maxxis 2.35 i measured them at about 2.3, so same with all nevegals. mine weigh 580g

+1, Mine are the cheap ones from On One and they weigh same as yours and as advertised, 580g. I'd say they are slightly slimmer than the 2.35 Ignitors that came off.

+1

Got a pair on the ole bike and they're considerably bigger (and better) than the 2.1 Nobby Nics I bought. The 1.95s would probably be the same size as everyone elses 2.1s.
    Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Northwind wrote:
    Yup, I'm used to sizing being all over the place, though usually Nevegals are pretty much as claimed- my 2.35 stick-es and my various 2.1s are all spot on. It's just this one that's weird, since it quotes 2 different sizes actually on the tyre! And also, there's no DTC folding nevegal 2.5 that I can find, and the stick-e 2.5 is about a kilo.

It's a bit odd.

maybe its got fat in middle-age , sounds like it could do with afew hours down the gym.
    :D