Longer than usual commute

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
So my usual route is a return trip to London Bridge, but this evening I decided to visit the sick up at QE Hospital Woolwich. TFL gave me route which I promptly diverted from when I finally clocked the cycling signs (route 22) and followed another cyclist who seemed to be going part of my way. Thanks mate!

Anyway, ended up in Peckham so took the A2 all the way. Blackheath Hill was a little steep so I walked with my calves screaming at me :roll: . Had to smile when I got to the top and two non-wimp cyclists went by clearly comfortable with it. Hospital visit over and done with it was back on the A2 SW-bound. I have to say Babygirl was not happy with the potholes I took her through and my bones agreed with her (ok so I might not have been paying too much attention to the road :oops: ).

The best part of that hour-long ride home was caning it down Blackheath Hill. That was fanbloodytabulous. I think the comp showed 25mph at one point :shock: Was I supposed to enjoy it that much? :D:D I covered the brakes at the begining and even gently squeezed the levers then relaxed and let the bike run its course. It probably helped that, at 7.30ish, the road was fairly clear, and I think a lorry driver was in a good mood as he slowed to a stop quite a few feet away from the stop line, allowing me to go ahead of him at the lights.

The rest of the journey was better than my normal route but those South East London roads are terrible. A couple of youngsters on a bus liked my cycling style too :shock: (what was in the air today?)

That trip more than made up for the dozy St Thomas Street ped of this morning. My equilibrium is restored :)

Comments

• cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    Nice one Cafewanda. I can see Blackheath Hill from where I live....and I've occasionally extended my route back from central London to ride up through Greenwich Park and down the hill....tis a lovely blast. once the next few weeks are over (exams looming) I shall be riding home north of the river more often so I can do the park and down the hill more. yr right about the roads, deptford church street is horrendous though I doubt you went that way
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sounds like fun Cafewanda. I agree on the roads, they're in a shocking state in SE London. I always feel safer in central London than I do down here I generally don't use Blackheath Hill, I just don't like that stretch of road across Blackheath. Greenwich Park hill is my daily fun, you can hit 30'ish if you just roll down it :lol: Not that I do of course now the speed limit in the park's been reduced to 20mph
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    I can't see Blackheath Hill from where I live but I can see the Point, which is right at the top of it.

Caféwanda, if you're visiting QE again try cyclopsbiker's route up through the park - it's a much quieter, steadier hill, altogether more pleasant. (Left after Deptford Bridge, along Greenwich High Rd, Stockwell St, Nevada Street.) As there's now a 20 mile an hour limit it's not worth going down it on the way back - you'll have much more fun doing Blackheath Hill again.
  • Cafewanda
    Nice one Cafewanda. I can see Blackheath Hill from where I live....and I've occasionally extended my route back from central London to ride up through Greenwich Park and down the hill....tis a lovely blast. once the next few weeks are over (exams looming) I shall be riding home north of the river more often so I can do the park and down the hill more. yr right about the roads, deptford church street is horrendous though I doubt you went that way[/quote

Hi cyclopsbiker, I did actually think of going on DCS when I looked at the map but changed my mind :) .
  • Cafewanda
    @ Rich - are there speed cameras in there? What time does it close of an evening? :wink:

DM - I could be persuaded to try it one weekday evening after work......... as the sick will be staying in the Woolwich area :)
  • cyclopsbiker
    DCT has horrendous holes and lumps/bumps. its all avoidable during commute hrs as you have the bus lanes to yourself (there's not that many buses down that road) but I'm currently working early hours so head down that way about 6.40am....while the bus lane is still open to all traffic so you have to be careful.

agree with deptfordmarmoset about riding up through the park. at the top of the park if you go left out of the park onto Charlton Way, then Vanburgh Park Road, Charlton Way and go right onto Canberra Road you can avoid the A2 and Shooters Hill road completely to get to the QE.

@deptfordmarmoset what do you mean by the Point? I'm wondering if you mean the top of Shooters Hill road??
  • Cafewanda
    Thanks cyclopsbiker. I've made a note.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    as i crash sideways into this topic can I just point out there has been some resurfacing near black friars as you come off racetrack to go up farringdon road...

Most surprised I was.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • deptfordmarmoset
    @deptfordmarmoset what do you mean by the Point? I'm wondering if you mean the top of Shooters Hill road??

As you reach the top of Blackheath Hill, the Point's a small park over to your left. It's not really visible from the main road but you get a great view over London from there. And then down Point Hill to the pubs in Royal Hill...though as you're studying you'll have to continue to the library, of course :wink:

My ageing father's in QE Hospital - I've made it a sort of rule to never repeat the same route there when I visit so I'd forgotten the simplest Canberra Road route. Though I think the second time you mention Charlton Way you must mean Charlton Road.
  • Cafewanda
    as i crash sideways into this topic can I just point out there has been some resurfacing near black friars as you come off racetrack to go up farringdon road...

Most surprised I was.

Is that just before or after Ha Ha Road? :P
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Cafewanda wrote:

Most surprised I was.

Is that just before or after Ha Ha Road? :P

between the off ramp and the lights crossing fleet street, 4 or 5 patches over the heinous slalom course that was there. Not all sorted yet though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • deptfordmarmoset
    Is that just before or after Ha Ha Road?

There actually is a Ha Ha in Ha Ha Road but you can't see it - it's a design feature :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    It did make me smile the first time I saw the name. I'm curious especially as it seems a little out of place with the military-type names in the area.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    glad you enjoyed it, I've been up that hill once, riding with a group of fixieskidderz for the marathon ride early, very early in the morning as as we turned on to it from the lewisham road, you could hear nearly everyone saying aww balls :lol:

Next week get yourself back there and get a little further up it, stand and mash if you have to, you'll really enjoy the view (and ride down) once you've beaten it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cyclopsbiker

As you reach the top of Blackheath Hill, the Point's a small park over to your left. It's not really visible from the main road but you get a great view over London from there. And then down Point Hill to the pubs in Royal Hill...though as you're studying you'll have to continue to the library, of course :wink:

My ageing father's in QE Hospital - I've made it a sort of rule to never repeat the same route there when I visit so I'd forgotten the simplest Canberra Road route. Though I think the second time you mention Charlton Way you must mean Charlton Road.

I probably do mean Charlton Road....there goes my dyslexia again!!

I know where you mean now about the Point, and more importantly the pubs...the Union is a favourite of mine :lol:
    there's a small back road that's not tarmaced which I like to challenge myself to go up somewhere round Royal Hill, can't remember if you go up past the fire station, but it brings you out on the first bit of grass on the left at the top of Blackheath Hill. of course it's best to ride it if you're on a MTB like me :lol:
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    Cafewanda wrote:
    @ Rich - are there speed cameras in there? What time does it close of an evening? :wink:

DM - I could be persuaded to try it one weekday evening after work......... as the sick will be staying in the Woolwich area :)

There are no speed cameras in Greenwich Park.......Although the royal Parks Police have been known to hide behind a tree near the bottom of the hill. :wink: Closes at dusk.....!
    FCN 8.
  • Cafewanda
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Next week get yourself back there and get a little further up it, stand and mash if you have to, you'll really enjoy the view (and ride down) once you've beaten it

b b but my 47yo knees!!! :shock: :)

@ Obie, hmmm. Might stick with the Hill in that case :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The first time I did that hill my legs screamed (but I still made it to the top just about), I have done it a few times now and it does get easier...
  • Cafewanda
    Paul E wrote:
    The first time I did that hill my legs screamed (but I still made it to the top just about), I have done it a few times now and it does get easier...

....... and your knees are how old? :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

....... and your knees are how old? :)

I'm no spring chicken at 35
  • deptfordmarmoset
    I've done it with 55 year-old knees but I really don't like the mixture of heavy traffic filtering into 1 lane plus slow bike that you get climbing the hill. I simply don't find it as pleasant as going up through the park, or Hyde Vale.
  • Zephr
    Zephr Posts: 60
    you could always go up point hill if you were up for a bit of a laugh...
    shortnsteep 8)
    FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.
  • Cafewanda
    It's the word 'steep' I'm not on friendly terms with :) .

DM, I'd try it out of rush hour for those reasons.

Yay, someone has older knees than mine :lol: