Dog day afternoon

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I was cycling home at 3:30 today and was stopped by a 19year student where she found a terrified looking dog by a bridge over the river I pass, the student was rather attractive or I would have just kept going.

It was a long haired Chihuahua and was clearly distressed. After winning it round by pouring some water from by bottle in to my sunglasses case it let me pick it up. It had no Id on it and I was on my bike. I walked it back to where I work and left my bike there whilst I walked around the footpaths looking for whoever had lost it.

I had my Aldi cycling soft shell on and did not want to get it hairy so I put it over my shoulders and tied the arms round my neck like a bright blue cape.

Off I went looking like a gay superhero (did I mention the dog has a pink collar on) and stopped off at a few places like the nearby rowing club and left my details in case the owners went in asking about their small ratlike doggy, every person passing me gave me funny looks.

I did think about putting the dog in my handlebar bag but it seemed unfair on the pooch.

The owners found me at 5pm and I was free of the dog and did not look like some low rent Mickey Rourke anymore.
It was a very friendly little dog but I wouldn't want to own one.

Quite a happy ending but I failed to get the students phone number.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good on you!

I hope the owners were suitably apologetic/grateful.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I was cycling home at 3:30 today and was stopped by a 19year student where she found a terrified looking dog by a bridge over the river I pass, the student was rather attractive or I would have just kept going.
    Down boy!
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    Good on you!

The woman who's dog it was was ecstatic as was the dog to see his mum again but the husband, who had lost the dog just seemed too thick to know what was going on to be honest.

The dog had been missing all day.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good on you!

The woman who's dog it was was ecstatic as was the dog to see his mum again but the husband, who had lost the dog just seemed too thick to know what was going on to be honest.

The dog had been missing all day.

The husband probably threw it off the bridge.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Well done, was really good of you to put the effort in. 8)

Did the owners cross your palm with silver? It's the least they could have done imo.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My wife and I foster cats for Cat Protection. The first thing we do when we take in a cat is to check if it's been ID chipped, if it has we can very quickly get back to the owners. If not I've seen it take four weeks to find a cat's owners, most of whom are delighted to see the cat again.

We also check dead cats that have been in traffic accidents, better for the owners to know puss is dead than forever worry that it's lost.

So if you have a cat or dog PLEASE get it chipped, it's not expensive.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My wife and I foster cats for Cat Protection. The first thing we do when we take in a cat is to check if it's been ID chipped, if it has we can very quickly get back to the owners. If not I've seen it take four weeks to find a cat's owners, most of whom are delighted to see the cat again.

We also check dead cats that have been in traffic accidents, better for the owners to know puss is dead than forever worry that it's lost.

So if you have a cat or dog PLEASE get it chipped, it's not expensive.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Found a red dog collar by the lake in Beddgelert Forest on Sunday.

No name tag, but a little tag stating that the dog had a chip in it.

No sign of a dog, owner etc.

Hope they are both ok.