The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Does anyone actually use a set?

Got any feedback on them/their hubs?

Taa!

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I’ve got a set of these: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=243 the Tech2 XC Switch with the red hubs and they look great.

Really happy with them, I'm no expert but haven't had any issues and they seem really well made. Also just changed my frame and got a 13, adapter deliver for £13 for the rear wheel, sorted.

Was riding with a chap the other day who had HOPE PRO 2 hubs, and the similarity was unbelievable.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Got their Spank wheelset, Wheels are fine and true after 6 months of being twatted around Welsh trail centres and the trails over here ... Even put up with my bad jumping with the common "casing" :lol:

Only ever stripped the hub once and that was a pleasure ... it didnt need it but thought i best before i went away for a big trip ! Still running silky smooth 6 months on

Only paid 150 quid for them so cant fault them !

O and they are white rims :oops: :oops:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • sweet cheers guys :)
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I did get my wheels for about £110 delivered. Keep an eye out as the keep doing deals.
  • I've just bought a custom set with Spank Oozy rims and Superleggera hubs, hopefully get them early next week. Will let you know how they ride. I've heard some and they sound like an angry wasp. (should give my Hope hubs a run for their money on noise)!

----
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Built the slick hubs in to a wheelset... not had loads of miles, but plenty of stick, can't fault them so far, but they aren't that light.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Torres
    Did you manage to weigh them before you built em?
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I was looking at a set too..

Superstar are ace.

I was thinking that even if the bearings are cheap items, they are still cartridge bearings so I'm sure you can replace them with better quality ones if they did deteriorate...

Just go down Bearing Man and ask them to supply replacements.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    hmmmm

superleggera hubs / stans flow rims / black double butted sapim spokes = £300

opinions??? :oops:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    M1llh0use wrote:
    superleggera hubs / stans flow rims / black double butted sapim spokes = £300

opinions??? :oops:

I was looking at that til I realised it was more expensive than Flows on Pro 2s.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Had the Switch Enduro wheelset for 3 weeks before it was nicked from my shed, fantastically smooth and well built wheelset but not the lightest. When it comes to replacement time I will be buying SuperStar again. Plaster cast comes off tomorrow so should be soon hopefully.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I've been using their Switch with the 9 & 10mm bolt throughs for the last 6 months on my 29er, stiffened up my wheels and bike and they are still spinning nicely. No sign of water in the hubs like the previous On Ones I replaced them with (After 3 months the bearings died because of water) You might have to check their wheel building qualty though , my back wheel came slightly untrue. I'd use them again no worries.
    Don't think, BE:
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    I've had a set of Stans 355 rims with Superfast/Superleggera hubs and Sapim X-ray spokes from Superstar for about 4 months.. light, sweet running and no problems thus far..
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Torres
    Did you manage to weigh them before you built em?

The rear is just a shade over 500g, the front is 220g.
    The slicks are the basic model though... so going for the superfast/superleggra hubs would nock even more weight off.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Rear hubs are shocking. They work for a while but goes through bearings like a man and free beer. Also the freehub is shocking, less than 6 months and complete failure.
    Went back to old hope big 'uns. Hope get the best reviews for a reason, they just keep on going
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of course, Hope rear hubs never fail...
  • Mc Smiley
    Well never is a bit much, but they do seem to have amazing reliability, the fact these were still going strong was testiment.
    I'm sure most of superstars hubs are good but it just seems to be common that bearings go quickly. Have to say this was in the peaks, but have been no trouble down south.
  • Aren't the bearings just sealed jobbies? so you can upgrade them easily just like halos..
  • Mc Smiley
    True I think it was the student inside him that disliked buying bearings so much. :D
    This was a while ago so I'm sure they are better now and the 120 pawl engagement and the actual build was phenomenal
  • Hello the bearings are all standard cartridge types which you can buy for a couple of quid. The new range of wheels/hubs/rims will be here in 4 weeks time. The hubs will be all alloy and 300g for the switch rear. Lots more choice of colours and lighter. Rims are available in lots of colours too.

Neil (superstar)
  • Shweeeeet :D

Cheers Neil... could be just in time for me needing a wheelset!

NOt sure if anyone found out, but do you have a date for the coloured disk rotors yet?
  • fanatic278
    fanatic278 Posts: 95
    Neil - while you're here - can you let me know how much these new Superstar Switch wheelsets will cost?
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=348

They're up now. At £150 they look pretty good. Be nice to know what the weight is but I think I've found my new wheelset :D
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I just ordered the switch hub wheelset with the Spank Oozy rim upgrade at £165

Roughly weighing them on kitchen scales they were:

Rear: 1100g
    Front: 900g

Kitchen scales wernt the best though so I'd give it a +/- 50g tolerence.

The xc rims might be slightly lighter too.

Seem great value to me... is it worth paying double the price to save 200g?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    SuperstarComponents.com:

*ahem*
    YOU NEED MORE ORANGE BITS!!!!!!11111
    *ahem*

Carry on.