why oversize bar?

armymankin
armymankin Posts: 213
edited May 2010 in MTB general
i wonder this question for long time. however i dont seem to find the true answer of it.

engineers say, oversize the center of the bar would make it stiffer, stronger,
as a rider, to be honest, can you tell the difference? i used skinny bar before, but i didnt notice it flexes at all.

some say os bar would have a lighter weight... in theory, the tube would be thinner as diameter go larger. but then most os bars on the market are heavier then the skinny version.

any professor here?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I think it is to prevent 650mm plus width bars feeling incredibly flexy.

Much better stiffness to weight ratio.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I remember reading one engineer's opinion that oversize bars didn't actually offer any benefits.
    I can't remember who he designed for though.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    was that road or mtb?

I know on the road the bars are too stiff when oversize for a lot of pro riders, and they prefer standard bars because they tune out more road buzz
  • Anonymous
    Definitely MTB. The engineer in question reckoned a lot of it was due to fashion.
  • armymankin
    Definitely MTB. The engineer in question reckoned a lot of it was due to fashion.

i m suspecting this is the fact
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, I think so too. He had a few figures and facts and whatnot, but I don't remember anything specific. It was over two years ago when I read it somewhere.
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    I noticed the difference when I changed on the Kona. However I think that was more do with getting a better quality bar. That's probably just as important.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Masters level Mechanical Engineer here...hello!

I think a mixture of both. Yes it strengthens it up significantly, particularly on longer bars where the force is further away from the fulcrum (stem)...Does it make any tangible difference for the 95 percentile of riders? Other than the look I'd say no. Particulaly when theres a big shock absorber between the handlebar and the road!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Anyone who says they saw the difference.... I don't think you did!
  • armymankin
    ok, i understand those impact-taker may need a os bar for strength.... but then i reckon the strength mainly is from the material itself.

Dan was right, afterall, it is the fork doing most of the job.

..... um.... maybe its just for the manufacturer have a bigger surface to print their name on :roll:
  • monkeypants
    monkeypants Posts: 150
    I have 711mm Diabolous bars in 25.4mm and couldn't make them flex if I stood on the stem and yanked the ends.

I too remember the posts about it being nothing more than fashion.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I always thought it was about clamping area and the ability to butt the tube more effectivly.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i have some 710mm wide, 22.2mm diameter steel bars on my hardtail, and i can't really feel any flex in them while riding. They do seem to tune out a bit of trail/road buzz though
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Most of my bars are 22.2mm in the center.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    However....

This is the case if it comes O/S as standard, where-as we all know any upgrade, makes your bike faster, smoother, lighter, better at cornering, better at jumping and worth more in the long run

FACT
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I was under the impression wider tubing made them stronger, which meant less material needed to be used. Thomson seatposts are a good example:

http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_sizes.asp

27.2 diameter by 410mm long 289 grams
    30.9 diameter by 410mm long 263 grams
    31.6 diameter by 410mm long 247 grams