bontrager xr4's

sl2371
sl2371 Posts: 748
edited May 2010 in MTB general
i'm thinking of buying some xr4's in the 2.35 size to fit on mavic 819 rims to use on a hardtail
will these fit the rim ok or would i be better of getting the 2.2's
cheers

Comments

• delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    edited July 2010
    I see the recommended tire widths for Mavic 819 rims are 1.50 to 2.30, so you'd probably be okay with the 2.35 XR4's

I bought a pair of XR4 Team Issue 2.35s three weeks ago for my hardtail. When I got them I saw that they are "designed for 28 mm wide rims" (I didn't see this anywhere in the on-line specs or reviews before ordering).

I have DDM1 rims (24 mm wide) but I fitted them anyway!
    So far all is well.

They are quite fat for 2.35 - much fatter than the Conti Gravity's I took off, which were 2.3s.
    I'm using tubes just until my tubeless kit arrives next week.
    Ran them at 40 psi on the first ride - way too hard. 30 psi, still too hard.
    Now running at 25 psi and they are fine - no tendency to squirm or leave the rim, and no snakebites (so far), but I am thinking of pumping the back tyre up to around 27. Fwiw, I weight about 75 kg.

At the right pressure they are much more predictable than the Gravitys' on all surfaces, especially loose gravel. I found the Gravity's good on hard dry surfaces like rock slabs and roads, but weirdly unpredictable on loose or wet irregular ground like roots (but that's another story :shock: ) - and with a tendency to dig in on tight turns.
    At low speed the XR4s do have fair rolling resistance, but over about 8mph they just take off and seem to have much less resistance than the Gravitys.

It's early days, but so far I'm very pleased with them.

There's a review / test here: http://www.imbikemag.com/issue5/ on page 121.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    IveJIve got the 2.2s and they come up big! Tight fit on my fuel ex - no way a 2.35 would fit
  • sl2371
    mine are to go on my p7 so just hoping that they will fit thanks :D
  • sl2371
    hi guys just a quick up date got the tyres fitted pumped up with a track pump first time just used a little fairy liquid
    they look quite big but fit the frame with plenty of space
    the mountain king 2.2's that were on the bike look like 1.8's to these monsters