If I overtake you, it means I'm faster than you

2»

Comments

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    heh heh Rapha Hat = Small Penis

Without getting into an endless debate about Rapha, the chaps who wear such hats seem on the whole most polite.

The impatient, tutting, moaning, anxious, car and cyclist abusing Vitor Meldrew types seem most often to go down the helmet / hi-viz / mask route. But I suppose with all that clobber on you're going to get overheated :wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    If I'm 5th in a queue of bikes I'm 5th in the queue. What I, and seemingly others don't appreciate is that when you are 1st to stop at a red light, then a few minutes later become 5th in the queue as others have gone around you and stopped. "Why couldn't they stay behind me?" I think is more the question.

I'm not an urban cyclist, so maybe this is poppycock too, but the four other cyclists who arrived after you are all faced with the same choice. Either they push to the front, or they sit behind you, but to the immediate left of the first car in the queue as they are also right behind you. (or maybe there is space for the first bike to arrive to sit behind you, but not behind him etc). Sitting immediately to the left of cars/buses/lorries waiting at lights is not a good place to be, especially if starting off involves any potential wobbles (like clipping in does for me) so they choose not to do it, and it's hard to blame them.
    Is there anywhere else for them to go?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    heh heh Rapha Hat = Small Penis

Without getting into an endless debate about Rapha, the chaps who wear such hats seem on the whole most polite.

The impatient, tutting, moaning, anxious, car and cyclist abusing Vitor Meldrew types seem most often to go down the helmet / hi-viz / mask route. But I suppose with all that clobber on you're going to get overheated :wink:

Very nice, bit pricey though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    :lol: Come out with a comment like that over on the SCR thread and we'll have you burned at the stake!

that r and n looked an awful lot like a m to me initially

amused me anyways
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Its not really about safety its about attitude. Its about wanting to replace the tyranny of cars with the tyranny of bicycles. 'Get out of my way I've got bigger thighs / carbon fibre / a Rapha hat' instead of 'Get out of my way I've got a BMW / White van / very small penis' . What makes riding on the road dangerous and/or unpleasant (at times) for all of us is other road users who think that them getting up the road .5 seconds faster than everyone else is their need or God given right. Please just chill. Instead of getting wound up about the pob or nodder just ride round when its safe. Cool.

+1 - its only commutung - not the TDF
    -1 No it isn't, its about manners. If I get to an ASLfirst, regardless of who I passed to get there, it is simply bad manners to weeble wobble in front of me. Personally, I wait behind someone on a BSO wearing a suit if I get there second, even though I know I'll be away faster.
    The people who get to the front, right next to you and try to turn left, or start off on the outside of you, going much slower (so you have to either wait or hang them out to dry), or the people who semi-RLJ and can't see when the lights eventually change, are exhibiting behaviour equivalent to pushing to the front of the queue at Boots, and I react to them accordingly.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Imagine you have a "priority boarding" plane ticket. You are in the front of the "priority boarding" queue. Someone turns up after you, walks past and stands in front of you. You still get on in front of ALL the other passengers and are very unlikely even want the same seat as this other person, but you'd still be annoyed by the rudeness.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't see this as a problem, and on my commute it can get quite busy. Specifically at the end of Millbank where I cross Vauxhall Bridge Rd. I'm not riding a fast carbon steed (yet), but feel I can maintain a good pace on my hybrid. When it comes to queuing at junctions I really don't care. If someone overtakes me and they're slower, its not hard to get in front of them at all.

Tbh, London roads aren't the best place to be if you want a clean fast ride where everyone follows the same rules as you and its all smooth sailing. If thats what I'm after I tend to take in a circuit of Richmond Park on the way home :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    These people annoy me almost as much as the people that go around you to jump the red.

THE GREEN MAN MEANS PEDS NOT YOU!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Imagine you have a "priority boarding" plane ticket. You are in the front of the "priority boarding" queue. Someone turns up after you, walks past and stands in front of you. You still get on in front of ALL the other passengers and are very unlikely even want the same seat as this other person, but you'd still be annoyed by the rudeness.
    Surely you don't actually pay for priority boarding?

There's way more leg room in the departure lounge.
  • andrewc3142
    If thats what I'm after I tend to take in a circuit of Richmond Park on the way home

I go through Richmond Park and it's very pleasant in the morning, especially with some light frost and the deer, etc. But lots of police enforcing the 20mph limit and racing types whizzing round being all macho rather spoil things.

For me the fast bit is the 14 miles to Hampton Court. Go as fast as you like, nobody to bother you, only a couple of lights, not much traffic and the cycling etiquette police don't venture out that far.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    If thats what I'm after I tend to take in a circuit of Richmond Park on the way home

I go through Richmond Park and it's very pleasant in the morning, especially with some light frost and the deer, etc. But lots of police enforcing the 20mph limit and racing types whizzing round being all macho rather spoil things.

For me the fast bit is the 14 miles to Hampton Court. Go as fast as you like, nobody to bother you, only a couple of lights, not much traffic and the cycling etiquette police don't venture out that far.

It is rather nice when you can get un-interrupted cycling :-) As most of my cycling is usually done on my commute it's nice to get out for the weekend rides and head out of town and not have to stop every 300 yards - I still have fond memories of doing the Capital to Coast and arriving at a junction which I had to stop at due to traffic and being un-able to remember the last time I'd needed to unclip and stop! I think it was about 15 miles. On last Sunday's ride I managed to find some busier A roads that I was following that allowed you to maintain speeds that would get you in a spot of bother at RP :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    going round rp on monday night I was flagrantly breaking the 20 mph - even to the point of over taking 2 cars... I think fortunately the only copper caught me going the other way at really flat bits...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,448
    I would hate an almost entirely urban commute, it's bad enough the 4 miles or so of urban riding I do out of 18 miles. No rythym, in and out of the pedals it's no wonder people get wound up so much.
  • andrewc3142
    Bass: Well, maybe there's your solution. Move further out and you get that on your commute. Mind you, doesn't always seem too great in the depths of the dark winter ...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bass: Well, maybe there's your solution. Move further out and you get that on your commute. Mind you, doesn't always seem too great in the depths of the dark winter ...

Actually I don't mind where I live. I do quite enjoy the cut and thrust of urban riding and being only 5 minutes walk from the kids school is very helpful :-) It's only about 7-10 miles depending on what route I take before I get to some quieter country style roads which is a nice warm-up distance!

I do feel a bit envious of those that have country based commutes and do often feel a pang as I pass riders coming the other way when I'm driving through the lanes in Chipstead, having found a route back off the M25 towards Croydon that avoids the mess that is the M23/A23 merging.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Bl**dy hell, 3 pages of comments!!

Hmmmm....it was just a playful rant as the guy in question disrupted an otherwise gorgeous ride into work - I felt the need to vent.

I just want to say you are all right:

A) I shouldn't let it bother me, but hey I'm human, it happens.
    B) I never squeeze infront of the guys who overtake me, i think it's bad manners
    C) If you've never tried to overtake a cyclist on the Hagley Road in Birmingham (where I think the car drivers are given cash rewards for forcing cyclists into the curb) then you have no idea why it can be so frustrating and dangerours
    D) I love you all :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    E) I don't own a Rapha hat
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • andrewc3142
    Massimo wrote:

That's where it all went wrong
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Massimo wrote:

.... and it needs to be red

no particular reason
  • Clever Pun
    Massimo wrote:

He's implying he's got a massive c0ck
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Pross wrote:
    I would hate an almost entirely urban commute, it's bad enough the 4 miles or so of urban riding I do out of 18 miles. No rythym, in and out of the pedals it's no wonder people get wound up so much.

Maybe it winds you up because of the contrast; get rid of the other 14 miles ;) I enjoy urban commuting, myself. A rural stretch would be an interesting change of pace, though.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm pretty militant about this.

But the other day there was another cyclist, slower than me a little unsure but you could see the enthusiasm in every pedal stroke.

Stopped at the lights, it was either wait behind me and between a car and curb/kerb (which?). Or go infront of me, a little too much enthusiasm meant that the cyclist got stuck behind me so I all but invited them go ahead infront of me and to safety.

I then used my experience to look at the driver indicate my intensions that I will be pulling out infront them. When the light was green car waited and I did just that, past the other cyclist and onwards into the open air ahead.

Job done.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm pretty militant about this.

But the other day there was another cyclist, slower than me a little unsure but you could see the enthusiasm in every pedal stroke.

Stopped at the lights, it was either wait behind me and between a car and curb/kerb (which?). Or go infront of me, a little too much enthusiasm meant that the cyclist got stuck behind me so I all but invited them go ahead infront of me and to safety.

I then used my experience to look at the driver indicate my intensions that I will be pulling out infront them. When the light was green car waited and I did just that, past the other cyclist and onwards into the open air ahead.

Job done.

I quite like the contrast in DDD's post and his signature :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Aidy wrote:
    It really really annoys me when someone squeezes around me and forces me out of a trackstand just after I've overtaken them.

It annoys me a lot.
    This is the worst!!! had so many close calls when trackstanding and some idiot rushes through the light as if i wasn't there!
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Cars ignoring ASLs, motorbikes thinking they can use them, left-hooking trucks, RLJs and everyone decides to have a go at other cyclists that stop. If you're that quick, go round them; otherwise, breathe deep and enjoy the sunshine.