Slovenia

fiftyacorns
fiftyacorns Posts: 66
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi

My girlfriend and I are thinking about going a center based cycling holiday to Lake Bled in Slovenia. We will be taking road bikes and were wondering what the cycling is like? Are the routes any good? Safety? Road surface?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I haven't ridden out there but I have been there on holiday. It's a fantastic place and my thought on returning was, I must take my bike next time...! Roads look good, not too much traffic, a number of cyclists around, and the routes must be stunning on account of the terrific landscape.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Slovenia is Ace. Ive been there twice and ridden in most parts of the country.
    There is a fantastic circular route from Bled , through the Vrsic Pass and down the Soca valley.
    There is a old mineworking with a guided cycle route through the mountain, quite an experience.
    I wouldnt spend the whole time in Bled, I spent one rest day there and was glad to be moving on. There is plenty of accomodation all over the country, the tourist farms are esp good.
    The roads are good; some of the very minor ones are unpaved forest trails, tricky to navigate (take a compass). I managed on a loaded tourer with 32mm tyres so an unladen racer should be OK.
    There is a dramatic Karst landscape in the SE (with huge caves), In the NE there is more Alpine sceneray and huge U-shaped valleys. The S has a good wine region.