Fixed single speed folding bike

Monst
Monst Posts: 26
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi does anyone make a fixed, single speed folding bike.

Only I need a folder to get on the train in the morning and I would like a fixed for ease of use/maintainence.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Seriously now.
  • Monst
    An opportunity for some bike company to make one then!
  • Aidy
    If you really had to, one of the Dahon's that folds in the middle is probably convertable without much pain.

Fixed gear bikes aren't really for ease of maintenance though, they're mainly for fashion victims :p
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Dahon Mu Uno http://fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=57325

You can save a whole five seconds over the geared versions when you fold it! :D
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Monst
    I ride the Newport track. Riding fixed aids pedalling technique.

I like fixed....no deralliers to get in the way (I ride road and mtb too, so I know what I'm doing with bikes ;). just fancy the simplicity of a fixed, but with added bonus of getting on the bloody train without the risk of being turned away if too many cyclist decend on the train!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Fair enough, the owner comments I've read on the Dahon forums have been positive. Looks great too in matt black. There's a SS Airnimal Rhino as well, but that's a teeny bit pricey (£1250!!!).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    you can get a custom built brompton which is single speed. not sure if it comes as a fixie though
  • Aidy
    spasypaddy wrote:
    you can get a custom built brompton which is single speed. not sure if it comes as a fixie though

I believe that the way the Brompton folds necessitates a chain tensioner.

Ergo, fixed gears aren't possible on them.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I've only ever heard of custom jobs.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    My old Fixed Frankenbike:
    116282387_414643fdab_o.jpg

Fixed Merc/Brompton:

2103610332_ed8b1657d8_o.jpg
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The Dahon Mu Uno isn't a fixed bike, it is a single speed with a "pedal back brake". Relatively easy to convert to a fixie though - Monst - if you are anywhere near London, I'd speak to fudges as they would defo do a version for you and are very competitively priced.

The Dahon D7HG is a hub geared bike too if you're interested. But is much heavier than the Mu. I have the MuSL and it has been great.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Monst wrote:
    Hi does anyone make a fixed, single speed folding bike.

Only I need a folder to get on the train in the morning and I would like a fixed for ease of use/maintainence.

Thanks for your help

A SS is almost as low-maintenance as a fixed, and probably easier to engineer into a folder. Whilst riding fixed is more fun, I would think the compromises inherent in a folder would also compromise the fixed experience to the extent that SS would be better option.
    A single-speed Brompton would be an obvious choice.

Cheers,
    W.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Someone was riding a fixie-fied Airnimal on the Brevet Cymru

Dunno what is required to make this work
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    vorsprung wrote:
    Someone was riding a fixie-fied Airnimal on the Brevet Cymru

Dunno what is required to make this work

A White Industries ENO hub is all.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dahon Cadenza Solo; Its waffaly Versatile.
    Fixed, Single, hubgear, MTB gearing
    EBB
    V-brake or Disc
    Rack/mudguards

Not the smallest of folds.