Noise at high speeds (spokes?)

sbonda
sbonda Posts: 61
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi,
I've got a Kona Blast 09 and while commuting to work there is a lot of noise coming from the bike. It only happens at high speed (like down hills etc) and oddly seems to get louder the faster I go.
It sounds like the spokes are pinging and making a racket. Almost as if a few small bits of steel were placed amongst the spokes as I was cycling and it was rattling around between them.
I have checked the wheels and all the spokes are tight.
It's also nothing to do (I think) with the chain as the noise is constant when free-wheeling or pedalling (and everything is in tension/ no slack in the chain).
The bike seems fine, I don't feel any flex or play in the wheels while cycling but am worried that something may be on it's way to failing.
Anyone had a similar problem or any advice as to what I can check?
Anything would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Comments

• OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    A couple of weeks back I noticed a sound similar to the one you're describing, I stopped riding and checked all my spokes and found no problem.
    Soon as I started riding again it came back, I then noticed the gear cable was pointing into the spokes and was dinging off them as the wheel span.
    Was really silly and simple but it had me worried for a bit! :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some times it can be the pads rattling on the rotor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sbonda
    OwneB:
    I've just been out to check that no cables were in the spokes and everything is completely clear of the wheels.Thanks though. It reminds me of when i was young and i would use clothes pegs to clip strips of cardboard to the bike frame around the rear wheel so that it flicked between the spokes; made my bicycle sound like a motorbike!!
    :oops:
    nicklouse:
    While I was out there checking I looked at my discs and if I tap the discs with a coin the ping is almost identical to the noise I get when cycling. The pads rattling on the disc could be the problem.
    I'm not very clued up on disc brakes so am about to read up on them. Is there an adjustment to take up the play on the pads or do they maybe need replacing?
    Thanks for the help!! :D
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Ha lol I used to run over coke cans so that they wrapped around my front wheel and got jammed behind the stanchions, that made an awesome motorbike sound (I was about 12 when I wrecked that bike)

EDIT, concerning the subject. The pad spring might need replacing, how long since you last changed pads
  • nicklouse
    sbonda wrote:
    nicklouse:
    While I was out there checking I looked at my discs and if I tap the discs with a coin the ping is almost identical to the noise I get when cycling. The pads rattling on the disc could be the problem.
    I'm not very clued up on disc brakes so am about to read up on them. Is there an adjustment to take up the play on the pads or do they maybe need replacing?
    Thanks for the help!! :D

leave them alone. it is a noise that happens. it can come and go.

Brakes can and do make some noise and the lose rattle tends to be there at the start of a pads life and the end.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sbonda
    Wow, your bike must have sounded way better than mine! :D

As far as replacing pads goes, i'm still on the original set. However, i've not been able to use the bike much since i got it and have only started using it for commuting to work about a week ago. i wouldn't expect the pads to be very worn, so it might be something to do with the pad spring.
    I will have a look at this tomorrow.
    Thanks for the advice and i will post my findings!
  • nicklouse
    while you are there check the hub for play.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I've had the end of the spring in the brakes get bent out so it was in contact with the rotor. Makes a funny noise, just an option.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • sbonda
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Nicklouse, i will check the hubs and it may just be one of those 'bike sounds' that come and go.
    I'll report back if i find anything of interest!