Is a Coverted Hybrid (Carrera Subway 2) as good as a MTB?

Red Route
Red Route Posts: 59
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi, I'm new on here & obviously a bit of novice to MTB, so please go easy......
Bought a Subway 2 a couple of years ago & now find myself enjoying going offroad more & more & am considering either purchasing a similar spec MTB or putting susp forks & MTB tyres on it & keeping it, as I've grown quite fond of it & I think it looks good too (honest)

I know the frame, rims, bars/head/stem & disc brakes are fine for offroad, but apart from forks & tyres is there anything else I'd need to replace?
I have a suspicion, I'd also maybe have to replace the Gear Shifters & Chainset, am I right?
Or should I just sell it & buy a MTB?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Or should I just sell it & buy a MTB?

That's what I'd do.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Subway 2's very like an old mtb really. I think the latest one has the same frame and wheels as the Kraken in fact.

It depends on what you want it to do, if you want a full on suspended mountain bike I doubt it's going to be economic but all it needs is tyres and it'll make a decent rigid MTB. Quite hefty though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Red Route
    Ta chaps.
    Don't need full suspension, just go on local Red Routes or for rides in the Peaks, nothing too heavy.
    So just Tyres you'd say, I was thinking about forks too but I'd still use it on roads a bit so I guess it's a good option.
    Was thinking about byuing a MTB & a road Bike if i needed too, but cash is an issue.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tyre's'll never be wasted money, if you do get an mtb they'll work on that too. So the cheap option is a set of sensible tyres and see where that takes you I reckon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Red Route
    Could be an good cheap option, I could maybe wait & see, it's actualy a pretty decent bike for the price.
    I've been flying around offroad (not down mountains, well once but it was scary) on it & it seems to handle it OK even on Hybrid tyres. My mates make me go infront so they can watch me skate across the mud as the reckon it's hillarious to watch. Not yet come off it, they reckon I must have good balance.
  • Red Route
    Will check those bikes suggested too,
    Was looking at Cube, Kona or Mongoose Tyax around the £350-£450 mark?
  • Red Route
    I originaly asked about the Chainset & Pedals as they seem low & sometimes scrape the ground on corners & bumps. Would they be set up the same & same spec as a MTB?

I also mentioned the Shifters/Gears as they also seem a bit low & say "Urban Shift" which makes me think they are only suitable for urban terrain, or again are they same set up & spec as MTB?

If so I may as well keep it for now & just add decent Tyres & maybe Forks, but don't want to spend anything on it if other parts are'nt right for the job, would rather sell it & buy a MTB?

As I said already, I'm not planning to go down any Mountains or do anything too technical yet.