Hybrid or road bike the age old question

2»

Comments

• macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Some excellent posts and responses lots of food for thought many thanks.Went to my LBS today who has offered me a 2010 Claud Butler Echelon for £430 or a 2010 Claud Butler Levante for £400.

However on the hybrid front have seen the following and would be interested in thoughts & opinions.

Specialized Sirrus

Kona Dew Plus

Giant Seek 4

GT Traffic 3.0

Fuji Absolute 3.0
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Ummmm......cyclocross? Best of both or worst of both?
  • macp
    Totally and utterly confused dont know which way to go and I could make a very expensive (to me) mistake.Local bike shops in my area dont offer test rides so nothing to guage by.I used to own a Dawes Discovery 601 which was a gorgeous & fast bike and quite comfy apart from my palms hurting a little.I currently have an Apollo Mogul Ltd edition.My Mogul is bloody heavy and slow and when its windy you really feel it but its relatively comfy apart from aching palms.So this is all I have to go on.

Can anyone help with some kind of cycling wisdom.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    How about eeny, meeny, miny, mo? Seems to work for my 3 year old. :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Honestly, I don't see what you mean. It's not turning into a stupid argument, it's actually fine. You're the only one arguing...

You're right, I think. Was just having a bad day in a bad week and probably a little over-sensitive as a result. It's easy to misread the mood of conversations on teh interweb.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itsbruce wrote:
    Honestly, I don't see what you mean. It's not turning into a stupid argument, it's actually fine. You're the only one arguing...

You're right, I think. Was just having a bad day in a bad week and probably a little over-sensitive as a result. It's easy to misread the mood of conversations on teh interweb.

That is very true. Hence the unstoppable rise of the emoticon!

Hope your week improves.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hybrid for the commute - makes you work harder so that you're fitter for the road bike at weekends 8)
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Aye, well, my "flat bar road bike", whether you think that's a hybrid or not, is making me work very hard at the moment because the front disc brake has failed and wants to clamp the front wheel permanently. Meh, time to go fiddle with the bleed kit.
  • lost_in_thought
    itsbruce wrote:
    Aye, well, my "flat bar road bike", whether you think that's a hybrid or not, is making me work very hard at the moment because the front disc brake has failed and wants to clamp the front wheel permanently. Meh, time to go fiddle with the bleed kit.

If it's got discs it ain't a roadie in my book.

Calipers would never do that..... :P
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itsbruce wrote:

If it's got discs it ain't a roadie in my book.

Calipers would never do that..... :P

+ 1

Discs :?
  • Nik86
    Nik86 Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2nd hand Specialized Sirrus Elite 2010 model and am loving it!!! It's really fast and light (good for the hill on my commute) but is perfectly at home with potholes, gravelly paths, etc. and is very comfortable. In my opinion, and I've done quite a bit of research to find the best commuter for London, it's literally perfect for the roads of a big city. I'd definitely recommend it so far and there's some good deals to be found if you go 2nd hand.

Just to clarify, my commute is about 3 miles each way (so min 6miles round trip daily - plus more sometimes) but it's a bit hilly. I don't have any panniers or other carrying capacity, I guess this could make a difference to some people.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    [Grumpy]The "age old question" is actually "Why does nobody use the fricking search function before post another 'hybrid or road bike' thread?" [/Grumpy]
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    [Grumpy]The "age old question" is actually "Why does nobody use the fricking search function before post another 'hybrid or road bike' thread?" [/Grumpy]

Yeah......... I was thinking that just this morning. Maybe we could have a 'hybrid or road bike - the neverending story' sticky.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    Yep, and I'm getting fed up of having to regurgitate my MTBs with slicks are good posts.
  • lost_in_thought
    FrankM wrote:
    Yep, and I'm getting fed up of having to regurgitate my MTBs with slicks are good posts.

Get out. Just leave. Go on.

:P ;)
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    FrankM wrote:

Get out. Just leave. Go on.

:P ;)

Then again maybe one day you too will see the light. :wink:
  • macp

I sincerely offer my apologies to one and all.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    macp wrote:

Don't apologise, secretly a lot of people like these debates and the hybrid v roadie is a good old chestnut. You can either join in the scrap or just sit back with the popcorn :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    macp wrote:

Don't apologise, secretly a lot of people like these debates and the hybrid v roadie is a good old chestnut. You can either join in the scrap or just sit back with the popcorn :)

Ignore me

I'm just in a grumpy mood

You crack on and start whatever threads you like

It is a democratic forum

For now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    macp wrote:

See that's why I didn't put it in one particular thread, 'cause it seems like we're picking on the OP.

Don't worry, OP, it's just that we get a lot of these threads 'round here. No need for apologies.

We'll get all UTFS like LFGSS soon... :D
  • macp
    Thanks all I do understand it gets annoying answering the same questions and I fell into the trap.Just a bit over enthusiastic and perhaps over keen.

I have decided to go road and have selected the Specialized Allez as the weapon of choice just need some advice on going double or triple but I have started another thread on that question.

Thanks all again for taking the time to read & post.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    macp wrote:
    Thanks all I do understand it gets annoying answering the same questions and I fell into the trap.Just a bit over enthusiastic and perhaps over keen.

I have decided to go road and have selected the Specialized Allez as the weapon of choice just need some advice on going double or triple but I have started another thread on that question.

Thanks all again for taking the time to read & post.

as with most forums the search function is fairly useless, and quite frankly there are only so many questions any way. it would be a very quiet place is the common questions where all just FAQ's
  • macp
    Cheers Roger
    Just used the search function re double or triple and got some good results.Pretty sure which what to do but unfortunately reading a few comments is beginning to make me doubt going for an Allez rather than a secteur sport