Does this exist?

SimonLyons
SimonLyons Posts: 203
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I saw just about all the longer distance regular commuters that I know of on my route this morning cycling in to Nottingham.

Then I wondered whether this exists on the internet. Anindividual map of each of the major cities/towns showing where people commute from by bike - like a pin map.

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    build it and they will come...
    FCN = 4
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Did you see me?

you used to be able to save routes on bikehike (like my sig) but it doesn't do it any more. Where do you ride in from?
  • SimonLyons
    Bottesford - Nottingham
    Bottesford - Aslockton on backroads. Cycle track along A52, through Bingham, cycletrack along A52 to Radcliffe. Back roads to Lady Bay, over Lady Bay Bridge, past Notts County ground and along the canal.

There were 2 regulars I saw coming towards me between Bottesford - Bingham.
    There is a new guy who cycles from Newark on a Condor - not sure where he is destination is yet.
    Then there are 2 others, one from Scarrington, one from Aslockton who overtake me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm commuting 'tween Kegworrth and Ruddington, so just South of you.

Varying the routes home now and looking for different roads to try so I could be anywhere in that vague area in the evening
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    We start near each other (I go from East Bridgford) but I head for the other side of town so go Lowdham then Lambley then on to Hucknall. I'm trying to persuade my mrs to ride in and she's take a similar route to you, might have to quiz you about relative merits of some options.
  • roundthebend
    roundthebend Posts: 205
    I'm a web developer and currently working on a private project involving showing routes on Google Maps.

I could quite easily put something together to do what you're on about. I don't understand what purpose it would serve though. I mean, the other site I'm doing is designed to allow people to meet up if they share a route. What would be the point of knowing that someone else shares part of a commuting route?
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    I'm a web developer and currently working on a private project involving showing routes on Google Maps.

I could quite easily put something together to do what you're on about. I don't understand what purpose it would serve though. I mean, the other site I'm doing is designed to allow people to meet up if they share a route. What would be the point of knowing that someone else shares part of a commuting route?

If you show stats with the routes, i.e. fastest / slowest / average times etc would give you something to monitor your own performance against?

e.g. 50 people cycle my route in the morning, and judging by the stats im in the top 10?
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • roundthebend
    That sounds quite interesting. I only commute 3 miles each way and only see a couple of other commuters who I doubt take it seriously. Hence, why I don't see the full value in what you're suggesting.

For such a site to work, it needs to be interesting enough that people use it regularly. That means it also needs to be easy to use, so perhaps if data could be fed into it from your cycle computers / garmins / whatever you use?

The setup costs wouldn't be sky high so could probably be covered by having some non-obtrusive advertising on the pages rather than charging a membership fee.
  • SimonLyons
    My main thought was that it would be good to have these kind of maps associated with a commuting forum like this one.

It would give an instant picture of who is hopefully active in your area.
    --especially useful for new forum members
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did Gotham - W Bridgford - A52 past the Queen's Med - Basford, about 9 miles or so as I recall, but that was a long while ago.

It shouldn't be hard to do, using Google maps etc. Anyone up for it? Count me out - I'm busy trying to shirk responsibility for the Stats pages.
  • Lennyk
    Lennyk Posts: 3
    :D SimonLyons and Co, the idea you are suggested is being considered by me and I have takenonesmallstep to find a way to create an interactive commuting platform with relevant commuter information so commuters can access information relevant to them easily. If you want to boost the idea and make it reality, you can kindly vote for it here and pave the way for a fun commute to all commuters in the future where sharing of experiences and making use of our virtual network of friends while contributing valuable feedback to local transport policy, networking and support local shops currently with no access to the multi-billion internet advertising platform. Why not vote for the idea here and ensure we gather enough votes if we progress to the next stages of the contribution:

https://www.takeonesmallstep.co.uk/Entry/View/1021, we count on all commuters to show their support as the benefit is theirs in end effect. Also visit www.commutecompanion.com

Thank you for your vote, I count on it very much! I presume I will be accused of violating house rules, but I hope you will understand that getting forums where one can talk directly to commuters is difficult and please pardon me!

cheers

VS
  • Lennyk
    :D SimonLyons and Co, the idea you are suggested is being considered by me and I have takenonesmallstep to find a way to create an interactive commuting platform with relevant commuter information so commuters can access information relevant to them easily. If you want to boost the idea and make it reality, you can kindly vote for it here and pave the way for a fun commute to all commuters in the future where sharing of experiences and making use of our virtual network of friends while contributing valuable feedback to local transport policy, networking and support local shops currently with no access to the multi-billion internet advertising platform. Why not vote for the idea here and ensure we gather enough votes if we progress to the next stages of the contribution:

https://www.takeonesmallstep.co.uk/Entry/View/1021, we count on all commuters to show their support as the benefit is theirs in end effect. Also visit www.commutecompanion.com

Thank you for your vote, I count on it very much! I presume I will be accused of violating house rules, but I hope you will understand that getting forums where one can talk directly to commuters is difficult and please pardon me!

cheers

VS
  • Lennyk
    Sorry all, that link does not work, please try this one and give your vote to support commutecompanion.

https://www.takeonesmallstep.co.uk/Entry/View/1021
  • roundthebend
    Someone has just shown me a site that offers almost exactly what you're after...I think.

http://www.everytrail.com/

For example....http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=267789