Steerer Tube

runninron71238
runninron71238 Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Is it possible to change out the steerer tube on a mountain bike. I have a Trek 4300 with bad shocks on the front. I have an almost exact match that I found and bought, except that the steerer tube is shorter than the one on my bike. Does it press in or is it welded or what? I put the new one on but it is at least an inch too short.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can you remove some of the spacers from under the stem?
  • runninron71238
    runninron71238 Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    With no spacers on it, it is about an inch too short. I am a tall guy 6' 4" and ride a 21.5 bike. I didn't think about the steerer length when I bought it off Craigslist....so I am kinda stuck with it and would like to use it if possible.
    When I say it's an inch too short, I mean it is not even long enough to attach the handlebars. I only have about a half inch available to connect the handlebars.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some older fork can be changed but most newer ones require a new steerer/crown/leg assy.

what is the "new" fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It is an InSync 323
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not worth it.

if the old fork is also an InSync you maybe able to get a mechanic to swap the usable parts over. but that would still cost about the same as your "new" fork cost.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Have a look for low profile stem that has a small steerer clamp area, even a bmx stem with riser bars would work but would probably cost more than a new fork.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: