Alternative to the Caledonia Etape

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
Hi

I really enjoyed Sunday so much that I want to do it again.

But, variety is the spice of life.

I know it is the only closed road event but is there any other Sportive that compares in the UK?

Or am I looking at the Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites? Bigger & better but more expensive.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    you could try the Bealach Mor or one of the other events run by Handsonevents. Don't bother with the one in Ullapool though, I'm told it's bloody hard work and not hugely picturesque.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • daviesee
    thecrofter wrote:
    you could try the Bealach Mor or one of the other events run by Handsonevents. Don't bother with the one in Ullapool though, I'm told it's bloody hard work and not hugely picturesque.

The Bealach would give a sense of achievement, that's for sure :wink:

How does it compare to the Etape?

Just want to make an early decision so I can book the Etape for next year before it fills up if necessary :P
  • thecrofter
    I did the Bealach Beag (45 miles) last weekend. The route is definately tougher than the Etape route, if you like hills it's well worth a go. To give you an idea I did the Bealach in 3.15 and the Etape in 4.20.The Bealach itself just goes on forever, it gets steeper and steeper for 10K, 49m 18s of solid climbing. Then you've got a death defying decent, great fun. The remaining 30K or so is all short sharp ups and downs really testing. If the weather is good (like this year) the scenery is amazing, but be prepared for anything it was snowing at the top last year, I believe.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Get yourself into the Trossachs Ton. Not closed roads, but does include a section round Loch Katrine that is private water board road and not open to public vehicles.

I have not entered yet, but am considering it......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Trossachs Ton is a very good ride and this year has a choice of 100k or 100 miles.

I took part last year and found it to be very challenging - particularly on the Crow road after the 75 odd miles of riding to get to the base of it.
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    LorneC wrote:
    Trossachs Ton is a very good ride and this year has a choice of 100k or 100 miles.

I took part last year and found it to be very challenging - particularly on the Crow road after the 75 odd miles of riding to get to the base of it.

The Crow Road is my home patch, tough but I know it well enough not to fear it too much. Very tempted to go in for this..... will decide by next week, see what this weekend brings first.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • thecrofter
    I'm considering the 100k version myself.

Took the wife and kids along to Loch Katrine last year got the boat up the Loch then cycled back down the private road. Lovely wee trip for a family day out.
  • neilmacd
    neilmacd Posts: 128
    There's the Skye Sportive weekend on the 14th/15th August

Saturday 14th. August
    Backing Budhmor Sportive starts Portree
    75 Miles and 42 Mile options
    Includes climbing the Quiraing for both options + Struan climb on 75 route
    £12 Entry fee
    Sunday 15th. South Skye loop starts Broadford
    Over Skye bridge , Plockton, Shielbridge , Mam Ratagan climb , Glenelg ferry .
    60 Mile no short route
    £12 entry fee
    Run by local club Cuillin Wheels

Pretty stunning scenery wise and pretty challenging terrain wise too.
    Scott CR1 Team
    Bitsa training bike. Bitsa this Bitsa that.......
    I'd rather quit than buy from Halfords
  • thecrofter
    neilmacd wrote:
    Sunday 15th. South Skye loop starts Broadford
    Over Skye bridge , Plockton, Shielbridge , Mam Ratagan climb , Glenelg ferry .
    60 Mile no short route
    £12 entry fee
    Run by local club Cuillin Wheels

Pretty stunning scenery wise and pretty challenging terrain wise too.

Liking the sound of that, I've got family in Plockton so I'd be ok for accomodation and I cycled Mam Ratigan as training for the Bealach
  • neilmacd
    neilmacd Posts: 128
    Only ever driven over it and that was scary enough :shock:
    Nearly killed my poor wee car so it did. Absolutely brutal climb and from memory road surface is keech too
    Scott CR1 Team
    Bitsa training bike. Bitsa this Bitsa that.......
    I'd rather quit than buy from Halfords
  • daviesee
    Oooohhhh - This is like it!

Just got to convince the other half.....

and myself :wink:
  • thecrofter
    neilmacd wrote:
    Nearly killed my poor wee car so it did. Absolutely brutal climb and from memory road surface is keech too

If you're refering to the surface on the Bealach, it must have been resurfaced since last year as it was fine last week. I saw a clip on You Tube from last years event and it looked keech.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    If you want vareity then get yourself into teh Fred Whitton Challenge next year.

Now thats a toughie!!

Did it this year................brilliant.

Also entered the Trossachs Ton.

Suppose I am doing teh vareity the other way as going to enter the Etape for next year!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    thecrofter wrote:
    neilmacd wrote:

If you're refering to the surface on the Bealach, it must have been resurfaced since last year as it was fine last week. I saw a clip on You Tube from last years event and it looked keech.
    I think he was probably referring to the Rattigan climb which apparently is very steep in places.
  • thecrofter
    fenski wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    neilmacd wrote:

I think he was probably referring to the Rattigan climb which apparently is very steep in places.

Did Mam Rattigan in Feb it was fine too. Not as big as the Bealach but nearly as steep
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    You can still enter the Bethany Sportive June 5th, 77 miles or 111 miles. Starts just outside Edinburgh, but is on mainly very quiet roads,. More hills than the Caledonia, but no really severe gradients.

Enter on www.entrycentral.com.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • daviesee
    Turns out SWBO is working the week of the Trossachs Ton so that's a go! :P

Edit:-

Turns out it is not a go. Too expensive.

I know it is £25 entry but a minimum sponsorship of £25 is also required.
    As I have already used up everyone's goodwill for a while I will probably just go on club runs instead.

Oh well............