Stolen Forks/Handlebars

mezza77
mezza77 Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Over the last few weeks almost every other day I have returned to the bike racks where I lock up my bike to see another bike minus its front forks and handlebars. The brake cables have been cut, and the wheel remains still chained to the bike rack. Any ideas how to protect my bike from this kind of attack, normally I rely on the fact that my commuter hack is pretty low on the list of desirable bikes, but having seen some of the bikes that have lost their front end, including a very battered old diamond back mtb, i'm not sure the thief really knows what he is doing.

Some one suggested putting a drop of solder into the top cap bolt but im not too keen on that.

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The problem is that unscrewing the headset makes it really easy to steal the bars and forks. You'd probably want something like the lockable headset cap here:

http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/index. ... 56&lang=en

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=6072

(EDIT : Fixed link).
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Super glue a ball bearing in the headset cap bolt. You can use super glue remover to get it out if you need to make an adjustment.
  • mezza77
    Nice idea, shame about the price, would probably double the value of my bike :D plus I still might come back to find I have no handlebars. Blooming scrotes making life more difficult and expensive for the rest of us.
  • mezza77
    amnezia wrote:
    Super glue a ball bearing in the headset cap bolt. You can use super glue remover to get it out if you need to make an adjustment.

Like it, looks like I will be calling into BandQ on the way home, assuming my bike is in one piece.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How about using those security Skewers that need the bike inverting to release, it would also stop the scroat(s) being able to remove the fork from the front wheel......may still loose your bars though......

You could keep a reocrd of bike bits taken and keep an eye on ebay, if the same user keeps coming up, report 'em!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    My mate and I were kind of discussing this the other day.

Problem with the ball bearing thing is that it's a bit of a pita if you need to do anything by the side of the road (and it's not unheard of for headsets to loosen).

I think what we were kinda favouring as an idea was to fill the heads with araldite (or similar). You could pick it out if necessary, but hopefully would be sufficiently annoying to deter most thieves.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I hope you've looked at alternative bike parking spots! (such as your office)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Drop the stem by one or two spacers and put a seatclamp on the steerer. Admittedly if the scum have come equipped to steal forks they'll have an allen key for the seatclamp but it will delay them a little more which they don't want.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mezza77
    biondino wrote:
    I hope you've looked at alternative bike parking spots! (such as your office)

Handed in my notice 3 weeks ago to move to a new job thats only 10 miles away, so the hybrid only has to stay safe for a few more weeks before retirement. Now all I need to do is find myself a nice road/cross bike to do the miles, although there is a nice route across Swinley Forest that I am looking forward to trying on my MTB, the thought of being able to ride some singletrack on the way to work is helping with the monotony of my notice period.