Service advice please

TheRevOlutionary
TheRevOlutionary Posts: 1,176
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I'm south of Crawley in the South East of England, and need my bike servicing.

I've been to Evans before but not been inspired by their prices or service. Can anyone recommend another decent LBS for me to get my bike serviced and get a BB done too? I've been in touch with BikeGoo, who are a good (very reasonably priced) local firm but they're in the throws of a move & already busy.
Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...

Comments

• TheRevOlutionary
    No-one else live in the SE?

Am I surrounded by Northern Monkeys?! :lol:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nah a bunch of sheep shaggers actually ;p
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    What is it you're trying to do? Any chance you could man up and take on the task yourself?

That way you'll A/ save money B/ be able to do it again next time and C/ have the pleasure of drinking beer in the garage whilst covered in grease.

I'm sure anyone on here will give you a few pointers.

/ northern monkey.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I'm in the SE but near Eastbourne so don't know any around crawley :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bit of a trek in to Croydon, but I recently had some new forks fitted by Bike+ on the Brighton Road.

Seem like a decent bunch of chaps, and good prices.

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/
  • TheRevOlutionary
    What is it you're trying to do? Any chance you could man up and take on the task yourself?

That way you'll A/ save money B/ be able to do it again next time and C/ have the pleasure of drinking beer in the garage whilst covered in grease.

I'm sure anyone on here will give you a few pointers.

/ northern monkey.
    Cant argue with A, but B, I dont have the time to do it this time, let alone next time and C am a tea-totaller who gets greasy at work every day so dont enjoy the thought of either! :lol:

/southerner
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I bet you could buy a new BB + tools for the same as a shop would charge you for a BB + fitting.

The rest of the 'service' is probably doable with a few allen keys. As homers double says, there's plenty of help available on Sheldon Brown, Parktool and here. I say do it yourself. As long as you're not taking suspension/brakes apart (which I doubt the shop would do either) then you can't really do any damage by doing it yourself, as long as you don't ridiculously overtighten bolts.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    googled it, evolution cycles looks alright
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • TheRevOlutionary
    googled it, evolution cycles looks alright
    Will check them out, not heard of them...

Ta 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• mrfmilo
    edited May 2010
    Evolution cycles is my LBS, they're in Eastbourne though so bit far for you, however they are very good.
  • mrfmilo
    Some bikes shop in and around Crawley...

Evans Cyles
    Ahead Cyles
    Horley Cyle Centre
    Mellow Miles Cyles
    Deers Leap Cycles

:P
  • TheRevOlutionary
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Some bikes shop in and around Crawley...

Evans Cyles
    Ahead Cyles
    Horley Cyle Centre
    Mellow Miles Cyles
    Deers Leap Cycles

:P
    I know what bike shops are around :wink: I'm looking more for recommendations on VFM and service. Eastbourne is a bit of a trek, but may be worth it for the comparative savings. And if you recommend them it's more worth the gamble.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• mrfmilo
    Ah right, sorry :oops: :lol: How far way are you? They're a good shop, if a little on the expensive side but work is done quickly and profesionally.
  • TheRevOlutionary
    Im in Haywards Heath, a bit of a trek from most places :lol:

The prices Evolution are quoting are almost half that of Evans FYI, so sounding good!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• mrfmilo
    What work do you need doing?
  • TheRevOlutionary
    Front hub re-greased, BB needs replacing are the main bits, but just a general scan from someone who knows what they're looking at would help. I've not got the time or inclination to do it myself!!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• mrfmilo
    If you take it to a bike shop it'll be about £15 for the BB (it's Powespline right?) and maybe a couple squid for gear cables etc. Then labour, so about £30-40.

Like the others said replacing a BB is very simple, do you have any biking buddies who could do it? :P
  • TheRevOlutionary
    It's square taper, but still around £15. Tools maybe another £10? I've done some work on the bike myself, switching the old Shimano brakes off for Hayes Trails, done front mech and chain and pedals (!) but would prefer the stamp in the book to say it's been looked at by a "proffessional".

Im a lone rider, doing mostly local trails and my commute to work, so no buddies to call on either!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• mrfmilo
    Tools + parts would most likely come out less than a shop doing it. As long as you can turn a handle you will be fine doing it :lol:

Your choice, spend alittle more for the LBS or do it yourself. :P