first commute completed

itssam
itssam Posts: 31
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Just done my first commute on my new road bike (haven't been cycling for ~10 years after doing lots of MTBing in my yoof) and apart from a bit of stopping to fettle with the seat post and realign the rear wheel (QR not done up tight enough) I'm pretty pleased with it:

from my iPhone cyclemeter:

Google Maps URL: http://j.mp/9kCs3Z
Started: 18 May 2010 07:28:08
Ride Time: 39:04
Stopped Time: 0:00 <- apparently you need to hit a button for it to detect a stop
Distance: 7.38 miles
Average: 11.34 miles/hr
Fastest Speed: 20.78 miles/hr
Climb: 197 feet
Calories: 378

Might have to park a little further away next time (i live about another 15 miles further away so driving part way)

What's the etiquette for filtering up the inside of people? Its a real pain the way buses seem to block you in heavy traffic but I guess its just cause they are a bit chubby ;)

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    itssam wrote:
    What's the etiquette for filtering up the inside of people? Its a real pain the way buses seem to block you in heavy traffic but I guess its just cause they are a bit chubby ;)

Be VERY careful filtering up the left of any vehicle, particularly at junctions. With buses I would always pass them on the right or wait behind.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good stuff!

+1 to what Amnezia says. Avoid going up the inside of any large vehicles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itssam
    cool, i was only passing in stationary traffic generally - i don't mind crawling along if there's no space to pass or I'm coming up to a junction for the time being.

I did go round the outside in some places if there was space...
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Well done! Nice day for it too.

+1 for other comments, NEVER filter to the left of buses or lorries. There are very frequent stories of people being killed doing exactly that. Stationary cars are fine so long as there's room but go slow as sooner or later some moron will open their door into you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Busses are lethal, only filter to the left if you are 100% (not 99.99%) that its not going to move until you are past, if its moving or at all likely to, stop or go right.

Your moving average speed on that route will I guess be a bit quicker, but well done none the less.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itssam
    Your moving average speed on that route will I guess be a bit quicker, but well done none the less.

I'd hope so! As I say the app doesn't seem to detect the stopped times so traffic and fixing things dragged the average down. Might have to try motionX - that seems to have a "moving average" item it records...
  • The Rookie
    Your linky shows the effects, most your 1mile averages were about 14+mph, but one mile ave was down at 8mph and others around 11mph, so just correcting out that would give you an average of at least 14mph, I suspect your real moving average was around 18mph.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Your linky shows the effects, most your 1mile averages were about 14+mph, but one mile ave was down at 8mph and others around 11mph, so just correcting out that would give you an average of at least 14mph, I suspect your real moving average was around 18mph.

Simon
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Welcome! Love the avatar thingy btw!

Really (really really) recommend reading Cyclecraft and if your local council does it, doing some cycle training (or check out CTUK). Think of it like doing advanced driver training for cyclists, will completely make you rethink how you cycle on the road.

And of course, enjoy - cycling to work is so much fun :-)
  • Gratz :D
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    welcome to the club
    FCN = 4
  • itssam
    I suspect your real moving average was around 18mph.
    8) thats a bit more like it!
    Welcome! Love the avatar thingy btw!

Really (really really) recommend reading Cyclecraft and if your local council does it, doing some cycle training (or check out CTUK).

thanks for the advise, I've ordered a copy of the book of the bay and will look into getting some training if its going!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    congrats btw - first step done :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    If you are not sure how to cope with buses etc then get yourself a copy of cyclecraft. It has a load of common sense ideas about how to share the roads with other traffic whilst remaining safe.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aguila wrote:
    Well done! Nice day for it too.

+1 for other comments, NEVER filter to the left of buses or lorries. There are very frequent stories of people being killed doing exactly that. Stationary cars are fine so long as there's room but go slow as sooner or later some moron will open their door into you.

I wouldn't let yourself become terrified of buses. They behave in a very predictable way and, as you get to know your route, you'll know the danger spots, where the stops and turns are. When they are stationary, and when you know they can't suddenly squish you, filtering left past them is fine.