Track Hub Lockrings

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I have recently acquired a 2nd hand track wheel. This has a Mavic Open Pro rim but I do not know what make the Hub is (I can not see any manufacturers markings on it?).

I have tried an English lockring, but this does not fit. How can I tell if this is an Italian or a French tread?

Furthermore, does anyone know of a good source for non-English lockrings and a viable alternative to the hugely expensive Campag version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think your best bet is to visit a bike shop that specializes in these things and try some stuff out.
  • SkidMerckx
    SkidMerckx Posts: 72
    I think your right Supersonic, having trawled the net (including the fixed gear forums), there seems to be much disagreement as to what thread fits what hub.

Off to Ciclos Uno (great bike shop) on Saturday to find the right one!
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    On a similar note, can freewheels go on the same hub as a fixed gear or are they incompatible? I see a lot of wheels sold as either fixed/fixed or fixed/free so I assume the threads or something are different.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Zachariah wrote:
    On a similar note, can freewheels go on the same hub as a fixed gear or are they incompatible? I see a lot of wheels sold as either fixed/fixed or fixed/free so I assume the threads or something are different.

A proper fixed hub has a thread for the sprocket and a seperate counter-thread for the lockring. A hub designed for a freewheel doesn't have the extra bit for the lockring.

Fixed/free (flip-flop) has one of each.
    Fixed/fixed has two counter-threaded lockring threads.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Ah, thanks. So you could put a freewheel on the side meant for a fixed cog, but there'd be a bit of thread sticking out?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Zachariah wrote:
    Ah, thanks. So you could put a freewheel on the side meant for a fixed cog, but there'd be a bit of thread sticking out?

I think so. The thread's the same and the counter-thread for the lockring is smaller, so shouldn't get in the way. It may depend on the hub(?).

Fixed is more fun, though....

Cheers,
    W.