Tyres

mf5
mf5 Posts: 207
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Just got in from a nice ride on the mtb, but feel its time to change my tyres for the summer, my tyres were great through the winter but what should I use now the summer has come?

Cheers

Comments

• yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    what is it about the current handling that you want to be different and what do you currently have?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    And what riding are you doing, what size of tyres, what kind of tyres.

You need to be much more specific
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I've been thinking of chucking a semi slick on the rear, leaving the front as is to drop rolling resistance but leave me with directional grip where I need it most - esp on my full suss which has some heavy and wide Gazza 2.3's on currently.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mf5
    Currently have two conti tyres on, edge on the front, slash on the back. Riding XC mainly.
    I was thinking I may be able to go faster having a less grippy tyres especially on the front.
  • peter413
    So what conditions?

Also, you always want more grip on the front, would you rather the front slides out or the rear :wink:
  • mf5
    I'm off up to the lakes soon, haven't been before so not sure on the conditions!
  • peter413
    So probably lots of mud and rocks :wink:

XC tyres I would look at Maxxis Ignitors.

Slightly tougher tyres are Maxxis Minions and High Rollers.

Ignitors roll the best but two front Minions grip really well and roll nearly as well as Ignitors.

A Minion on the front and High Roller on the rear rolls worse but doesn't slide as much. A front Minion and Rear Minion will grip best but roll the worst.

Maxxis Aspens may be pretty good as well, roll really well but are meant to grip really well.

Also worth a shout are Schwalbe Rocket Rons on the rear with a grippier tyre on the front like Nobby Nics, these are expensive though
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    Panaracer Fire XC pro, 2.1" folding flavour.

Fit now, thank me later.

Those or Maxis Advantage.
    Advocate of disc brakes.